• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter 22-23 Whamby and Banter Thread Part 2

Yeah, the mountains really cause problems for us in these situations. These clipper systems tend to be lighter in terms of moisture saturation, especially coming from farther north, and rarely tap into the gulf for enhancement. Precip makes it to the mountains then we suffer from the downslopping effect which dries out the air. Only very rarely can we score from clippers. We also have issues with coastal systems as they are generally too far East for the precip to reach us. We really do best with systems that can tap gulf moisture and the cold needs to be already entrenched (overrunning). Summer systems tend to be more robust and have more moisture so we don't notice the downslopping effect as much, plus its easier for the flow to pick up gulf moisture in the summer. Its absolutely maddening but a reality of living in the upstate. There's a lot of great things about the upstate but lack of snow is a big drawback if you're a winter weather lover. Still, somehow we mange to see at least something every year.
Why doesn’t the mountains affect the moisture in Tennessee? It’s just cruising right on through.

Why doesn’t the mountains affect the moisture in Tennessee? It’s just cruising right on through.
There's really no mountains until you get to the Eastern edge and the moisture there banks up against the mountains in an upslopping process, which rings out moisture. Because we are on the other side of the mountains we get downslopping which has the opposite effect. We may get a piece of the moisture in NGA right now but its ahead of the front and would be rain anyway. This isn't our system but we got a ways to go this winter, we'll have other chances.

Where's Lickwx been hiding at lately. He should really enjoy the weather tomorrow and this weekend. Especially tomorrow. Licks dreaming of a warm Christmas like the one we had back in 2015.
Lol. Where are you at? Hiding in your Hello Kitty pajamas underneath some blankets fire roaring! I may want it warm but you best believe not a single one of you weenies would even dare to brace the cold like me. “ oh we want it cold “ gets cold “ oh man it’s so cold Imma sit inside”. Imma go for a swim tomorrow you better believe it . Want to beat my previous coldest record of upper 20s. Gon be 70 by next weekend enjoy!

How bout them dookies playing wake forest other night ?

Negative dewpoint anyone?

07868e9bf80e200f96d6d62b0c836fce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back