• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter 22-23 Whamby and Banter Thread Part 2

Good Evening !!!!!!!

My fellow Weather Weenies! ?

Temp(s) have fallen from 69F (around 1:30 pm or so..

Semi-clearing Skies, too currently..

48F with a North winds 10~15 here on the Coast.. (Topsail)..
I STRONGLY SUSPECT, (Fridays, forecasted High of 53F ) is going to bust several degrees on the Low side or Mid-40F..

By the time the Front moves through (here) ...

Though, (since this the WAMBY thread..)

THOUGH! there MIGHT be a Silver Lining??

From My local NWS ..
Hinting @ "Something" We've been having DISCO over a "possibility"? after X-MAS?

***Certain deterministic guidance is hinting at a possible low pressure system mid next week, but confidence on POPs has not increased as most ensembles are maintaining a dry forecast at that time. ***

ANYHOO.. MERRY CHRISTMAS to ALL
Enjoy!

I came across a Lil Diddy for ya'll..

About having cold/freezing AirMass in place & no Moister to work with,,, OR Vise Versa..

(OUR WINTER SONG)..

Have alil HUMOR FOLKS!..

Why does all the precipitation just disappear as hit hits NE Georgia and the Carolinas? It looks robust on radar but future radar says it just goes away. Is it really just because of the mountains? I feel like if this was a summertime storm it would plow right on through us.

Why does all the precipitation just disappear as hit hits NE Georgia and the Carolinas? It looks robust on radar but future radar says it just goes away. Is it really just because of the mountains? I feel like if this was a summertime storm it would plow right on through us.
Yeah, the mountains really cause problems for us in these situations. These clipper systems tend to be lighter in terms of moisture saturation, especially coming from farther north, and rarely tap into the gulf for enhancement. Precip makes it to the mountains then we suffer from the downslopping effect which dries out the air. Only very rarely can we score from clippers. We also have issues with coastal systems as they are generally too far East for the precip to reach us. We really do best with systems that can tap gulf moisture and the cold needs to be already entrenched (overrunning). Summer systems tend to be more robust and have more moisture so we don't notice the downslopping effect as much, plus its easier for the flow to pick up gulf moisture in the summer. Its absolutely maddening but a reality of living in the upstate. There's a lot of great things about the upstate but lack of snow is a big drawback if you're a winter weather lover. Still, somehow we mange to see at least something every year.

Back