• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical TS Helene

I remember that’s what happened with Ike in 2008. Never got above 110mph winds despite a pressure that would have been a higher end cat 4

Yeah pressure does not always equal winds, I got into the SW eye of Isabel, pressure was 970 mb and peak wind gust was 45 mph....once Helene gets inland there will be a lot of things that factor in to how well it can transport the stronger wind to the surface. Still gust well into TS strength could happen even several hundred miles inland especially if it is moving 25 mph....

Is it too early for an eye to develop? Because I'm seeing something that looks an awful lot like an eye:

Li4tPnR.gif

I remember that’s what happened with Ike in 2008. Never got above 110mph winds despite a pressure that would have been a higher end cat 4
That’s kinda comparing apples to oranges though isn’t it? Ike’s core traveled over Cuba twice before emerging into the GOM. That played a factor in its lack of recovery as well besides its large size.

The N
Is it too early for an eye to develop? Because I'm seeing something that looks an awful lot like an eye:

Li4tPnR.gif
The 11 PM position was 20 N. which would place the COC on the southern periphery of that convective mass. That said, it sure does look like an eye. Relocation? I doubt it, but maybe.

Gfs basically same position as 18z for landfall. I really don’t look at the globals in the short range alot, the hurricane models are the best hands down. I say gfs and the Icon are the eastern while the rest west. Blend it in then you have a apalachicola landfall perhaps

0Z UKMET: strongest run yet with 977 mb a few hours before a Thu night Apalachee Bay landfall. Keep in mind this tends to be a conservative model this far out.
Helene then goes to far NE GA, well E of ATL.

Last edited:
Back