• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry The Webber/1300m/Kylo/Jon/Whatalife Storm January 12th-14th

FV3 is 100 miles north at 0z In western TN and off obx:

0z GFS is futherest south: Below

1547119880908.png

Last edited:
Last one; This is 6z FV3. Notice it tick back south 75-100 miles at 6z from its 0z run. Lines up perfect with Euro 0z. The 6z GFS is in its 0z location, just not as baggy and surface lp is closed off. Everything comes off coast around Wilmington, scrapes OBX and is OTS.

1547120310996.png

If we had stronger cold supply this storm track would actually work out. In order for Raleigh to get snow with this not so ideal cold, we’d need the low to track just above the Florida Panhandle, something like this:
69554d97f885e061b87889ca55525637.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NWS forecast maps have the upstate in snow turning to mix throughout the day Saturday? Seems like a big outlier to me, surprised the NWS is forecasting that, they are usually much more conservative in wintry forecasts.

Anyone have the 6z Euro? Fwiw the 00z RGEM ensembles still have the surface low track pretty far south but the LP is so weak/broad it could conceivably form anywhere from TN to central LA.
1547128512504.png

Anyone have the 6z Euro? Fwiw the 00z RGEM ensembles still have the surface low track pretty far south but the LP is so weak/broad it could conceivably form anywhere from TN to central LA.
View attachment 10528
I also notice that the RGEM at the end of it's run has the strongest HP than other models, only a MB or 2 but still every little bit helps...

Well the NAM is up, it's now or never for this system (although I'm leaning towards it's not going to happen).... I am slightly intrigued by the piece of energy that moves through Monday PM

What we need to watch is if the energy starts trending weaker and/or shearing out quicker. This would lead to more of a suppressed track with the surface low if that happens. Also where the LP forms and then the trailing wave for Monday will be worth watching. As it stands now I'm thinking this is an I-85 and NW ice event that could change to rain at the end and qpf will be light enough that it shouldn't cause any major issues.

Nam has consistently shown me getting a 6-9 hour window of light to moderate freezing rain

NAM is a pretty significant ice storm for Western NC and even hints at some brief icing in upstate SC and northern GA.
1547131163841.png
1547131175337.png
1547131195614.png

3km NAM at the very end of the run has some light ice forming in northern GA. The NAM and RGEM are the models of choice now that we are getting in range of them and will do the best job with the CAD.
1547132115305.png

I still don’t trust the NAM fully, but it’s still much colder over GA Saturday. Like much colder. RGEM will be interesting.

Back