• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry The Webber/1300m/Kylo/Jon/Whatalife Storm January 12th-14th

Judging from the lack of posts in a busy thread on a busy forum, it’s easy to conclude the 18z GFS sucked. Looking further at the actual model, it does.

While I think there is a chance of the models underestimating the strength of the CAD a tad, I have to agree with 1300m and toss the Canadian eh in favor of some of the other models. If the high were trending south and stronger, I would think differently. But when does anything ever trend south and stronger?

Judging from the lack of posts in a busy thread on a busy forum, it’s easy to conclude the 18z GFS sucked. Looking further at the actual model, it does.

While I think there is a chance of the models underestimating the strength of the CAD a tad, I have to agree with 1300m and toss the Canadian eh in favor of some of the other models. If the high were trending south and stronger, I would think differently. But when does anything ever trend south and stronger?
Last month... lol different scenario I know and not for everyone. But every single model output showed a trace at best and I ended up with 7". So I never fully throw in the towel until that warm snow is falling

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last month... lol different scenario I know and not for everyone. But every single model output showed a trace at best and I ended up with 7". So I never fully throw in the towel until that warm snow is falling

Yeah, I wouldn’t give up on it yet. But if I had to bet, I’d bet very little outside foothills/mountains/far western NC Piedmont and north from there. Just not seeing the Synoptics in place necessary to drive the big high south.

Yeah, I wouldn’t give up on it yet. But if I had to bet, I’d bet very little outside foothills/mountains/far western NC Piedmont and north from there. Just not seeing the Synoptics in place necessary to drive the big high south.
Last month I predicted 3-6" for Wake County when most were going much lower. I'm not a total moron but this one has got a lot of problems, the biggest being a cold air feed.

Last month I predicted 3-6" for Wake County when most were going much lower. I'm not a total moron but this one has got a lot of problems, the biggest being a cold air feed.
Wasn’t the track farther south as well? Nothing about this one is trending favorably right now.

I think 99.9% of people would agree with you. I just like to wait 48 hours or so before I cancel, just in case...what’s the harm in waiting I guess. This storm has an ample amount of problems and it could have got it done, the surface low on this strung out mess just isn’t working for us. I’ve seen highs over the Great Lakes get it done for Raleigh, so there’s always exceptions. This one is just a tad too north.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think 99.9% of people would agree with you. I just like to wait 48 hours or so before I cancel, just in case...what’s the harm in waiting I guess. This storm has an ample amount of problems and it could have got it done, the surface low on this strung out mess just isn’t working for us. I’ve seen highs over the Great Lakes get it done for Raleigh, so there’s always exceptions. This one is just a tad too north.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No disagreement. Just offering my forecast as of now. Nothing's ever set in stone, but I'm just not seeing any of the trends that I personally think are needed. It's close for sure for many from Raleigh to GSO, but in the end I doubt it'll be more than a nuisance/Advisory level event at worst.

18z GEFS continues the north trend. 18z NAM was also north and then split the surface low into two centers (but based on H5 it should have been way north and the 00z run will most likely be further north if it keeps that look).

gfs-ens_mslpaNorm_us_fh90_trend.gif

namconus_mslpaNorm_us_fh78_trend.gif

Looks wintry. That the 18z fv-3? Also, how did the precip types from that site pan out with the last one?
My recollection it was horrible, had frozen precip much further south than what materialized

Back