• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry The Webber/1300m/Kylo/Jon/Whatalife Storm January 12th-14th

The NAM is by far the strongest of the models with consolidating the 5H energy and then quickly shears it out as it heads east. The LP track is south of the Euro/FV3 FWIW but at this stage I wouldn't put much stock in the NAM. Here's the forecast GIF showing the energy shearing out as it moves east.
namconus_z500_vort_us_fh66-84.gif

The NAM is by far the strongest of the models with consolidating the 5H energy and then quickly shears it out as it heads east. The LP track is south of the Euro/FV3 FWIW but at this stage I wouldn't put much stock in the NAM. Here's the forecast GIF showing the energy shearing out as it moves east.
View attachment 10466
Looking sort of like a typical Miller B precip hole over the Piedmont type of a deal.

ICON is out, LP track just north of the FL panhandle and then quickly transfers off the NC coast. CAD temps are a little warmer this run, less ice.
1547068915975.png

The ICON confines the freezing rain to the NW CAD areas this run.

In other news, the RAH discussion mentioned mostly snow in the Triad. Not sure I buy that, but I’d take it.

The ICON confines the freezing rain to the NW CAD areas this run.

In other news, the RAH discussion mentioned mostly snow in the Triad. Not sure I buy that, but I’d take it.
I saw that, they were actually fairly generous in the potential amounts imo and less concerned about zr.... I have a feeling that tune will change unfortunately.

Not sure where RAH is getting their snow p-type from for the Triad. No model other than the UK really supports that scenario, this is going to mainly be an ice storm as it stands right now for the CAD regions and cold rain elsewhere.

Not sure where RAH is getting their snow p-type from for the Triad. No model other than the UK really supports that scenario, this is going to mainly be an ice storm as it stands right now for the CAD regions and cold rain elsewhere.
Looking at who wrote the discussion, I'm not surprised. Not a winter weather expert by any stretch.

Back