• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

The June Thread 2021

So much for the low 70s even low 60s in the heart of summer ! Below average by a lot but nowhere near what I was promised ! I feel robbed !modernweenie
Oh relax. You were promised unending upper 90s and no rain for the rest of summer back in early May. We saw how that worked out. Deal with it! ?

Oh relax. You were promised unending upper 90s and no rain for the rest of summer back in early May. We saw how that worked out. Deal with it! ?
I want a word with the promisers ! They know who they are. One of them is in Honduras rn! He made his broken promises and then fled the country !Oh and you deal with no snow! Boom.

It's hard to believe a city like Portland, OR is going to go over 110 degrees. ATL's highest recorded temperature ever was 106 degrees. Those western death ridges are no joke this summer and this isn't even July/August yet where heat domes can be even more brutal.

It's only able to get that hot out west because they have basically no humidity this time of year. Portland is bone dry for 3-4 months. So, this kind of heat is not that unheard of. Although, 110 would be a shattering record for them.

It's only able to get that hot out west because they have basically no humidity this time of year. Portland is bone dry for 3-4 months. So, this kind of heat is not that unheard of. Although, 110 would be a shattering record for them.
Why can't Atlanta hit 110 when it's bone dry in the fall ?

Just be glad it doesnt. Only been to Hotlanta a few times. Dont know why but I cant take their heat.

What's funny is I find Atlanta more heat more tolerable than CLT and Raleigh's. We get our humidity from the Atlantic and Gulf- whereas Atlanta is more from the Gulf. I feel like our humidity/dews are def higher at times.

The real reason why cities like Portland and Seattle are getting so hot is because of the position of the upper level high pressure system. The center will be to the north of them so what's going to happen is that it's going to shut off the westerly flow of the pacific that moderates their temperatures. Add on the compressed air from the high pressure and it's "Welcome to Hell". Very very rare setup.

I'm very worried that this regime of western ridges will propagate to the east soon and we potentially get near record heat in July or August.

What's funny is I find Atlanta more heat more tolerable than CLT and Raleigh's. We get our humidity from the Atlantic and Gulf- whereas Atlanta is more from the Gulf. I feel like our humidity/dews are def higher at times.

Just checked. Atlanta has a slightly lower average humidity than Raleigh, but slightly higher than Charlotte. To me, all three of these cities pretty much have the same summer climate and I doubt there's any real noticeable difference in the heat and mugginess outside of when certain patterns set up.

The real reason why cities like Portland and Seattle are getting so hot is because of the position of the upper level high pressure system. The center will be to the north of them so what's going to happen is that it's going to shut off the westerly flow of the pacific that moderates their temperatures. Add on the compressed air from the high pressure and it's "Welcome to Hell". Very very rare setup.

I'm very worried that this regime of western ridges will propagate to the east soon and we potentially get near record heat in July or August.

They actually have similar heat like this in the past. I have a friend who lives there. And like was stated before Portland is not too far from the desert.

And I am sure we will eventually bake at some point. But I don't see is getting record shattering temps. They rarely pan out for us when models start screaming "record breaking heatwave."

They actually have similar heat like this in the past. I have a friend who lives there. And like was stated before Portland is not too far from the desert.

And I am sure we will eventually bake at some point. But I don't see is getting record shattering temps. They rarely pan out for us when models start screaming "record breaking heatwave."
That amazes me that a city that close to the Pacific Ocean can be near the desert also. That huge body of water known as the Pacific and yet somehow there is a desert not far from the coast.

Back