• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

The June Thread 2021

4 separate storms within 5 miles and we get maybe a trace. Places less than a mile away probably over 1 inch and counting now. It is obvious to me that that we will have a very dry summer here. Storms just keep finding ways to miss and it'll be this way all summer. Hopefully the tropical system in the long range comes through GA and the Carolinas.

yeah, enhanced echo tops were between 30-40kft today.. 40kft seemed to be the threshold needed for enough charge separation to produce some CG lightning strikes.. very typical summertime convection "play-by-play" on the meso-gamma scale. No interesting outflow boundaries interactions to note of around here, or at least from what I noticed. However, tracked a ENE-NE moving outflow boundary that did the typical pop-up short-lived cells along the boundary.. ultimately screwing some areas.. my point tho is, it ruined the chances we had with storms tracking ESE.. moving them directly in the cold pool behind the boundary mentioned above. Nowcasting is fun for summertime convection, IMO. Lots of surprises but arguably more disappointments. Were used to that right, lols.

What was nice the other day on my birthday, is a beautiful outflow boundary decided to play nice and trigger a pretty decent lightning storm right over head just as I was getting ready for bed. Another pleasant surprise to note of, was the macro-burst I believe it was SW Athens area.. 1.75" golf ball size hail and 70-80 mph winds.. I love it ! :D

You probably don't remember this just because you're not in the area. But I think it was two summers ago, on a rather active day (60-80%).. across the top 2/3s of Georgia, we had two major downburst events. The first one fell short of macro burst width requirements at 2 miles and 6 miles long.. 85-90mph winds in the Lilburn, GA area. Another one was a macroburst event I believe in generally the same area, but I couldn't find the information -.-. Any who, that entire day was damaging wind fest lol. Did find another microburst even two days later, 90-95 mph winds found in a series of microbursts.. periods of downward momentum transport (for same storm, I believe) for 15 miles.. [Lamar & Monroe] counties. I swear tho that macroburst that at least happened in my head was like over 100 mph winds, maybe I'm just crazy :D
Wind event Jun 1 2018.png

"... PUBLIC SOCIAL MEDIA REPORTS POSSIBLY 200+ TREES DOWN ALONG THE SWATH"
Links
Storm 1
Storm 2
Downburst write-up from Nashville, TN WFO - https://www.weather.gov/ohx/downbursts

Lol ---- this, my post about the hrrr last night once again proves to be true 5DDC2DE7-9BAD-46E3-8292-C8D9DFCEA93E.png

• Sad
Reactions: SD
Well let's see what actually develops today. The 3k makes a little more sense with the W-E oriented band out in front of the disturbance and the trailing N-s band on the south side. Looks like the chances tomorrow has storms is increasing along and S of 64
KMHX - Super-Res Reflectivity Tilt 1, 7_54 PM.png

Back