• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

The June Thread 2021

Heat wave of July 20- august 14 1999 is a perfect example of that.

July 20 to August 14, 1999

Blistering heat developed across the Carolinas during this final heat wave of the 20th century. During this event, the upper level ridge developed across the lower Mississippi Valley and retreated for a time into the Southwestern United States, a position farther west than is typically observed during our worst heat waves. The airmass was still exceptionally hot, and with westerly downsloping winds over the Appalachians, temperatures reached 108 in Hartsville and Cades, SC. The 105 degree temperatures that developed in Charleston, SC on August 1st broke the all-time record for heat in that coastal city. Temperatures also reached 105 in Orangeburg and Newberry, SC. In Kingstree, SC temperatures reached or exceeded 100 degrees for 10 consecutive days from July 24th through August 2nd.

In addition to very hot daytime highs, overnight lows were exceedingly warm during this heat wave; Sullivans Island, SC recorded a daily low temperature of 84 degrees on August 1st! Wilmington, NC's high and low temperatures of 103 and 83 degrees on August 1st average out to 93 degrees -- the warmest average daily temperature in the Port City's history. Charleston, SC also had its hottest average temperature in history on August 1st, 93 degrees, after a high and low measured at the airport of 105 and 81, respectively. The downtown weather station at the harbor in Charleston had a morning low of 86 degrees that same day, the warmest ever recorded there.

The Mt. Mitchell, NC weather station, at 6,240 feet elevation, reached 81 degrees on August 1st and established a new all-time high temperature for that location.

This heat wave also affected the Mid-Atlantic and Northeastern United States. Temperatures exceeded 100 degrees from Richmond, VA through Baltimore and into Newark, NJ.

@SD this map looks exactly like the one you posted from the models where you suggested more heat release!

View attachment 85537
That 1999 analog though

That 1999 analog though
If it wasn’t for this tropical system we had the perfect setup for hot temps . I don’t think the models were overshooting for today and yesterday at all given the setup and likely the opposite . What they missed of course is the more expansive rain shield and cloud cover associated with this storm. Models overshoot temps but the setup they showed initially for today was not one where they would have been overshooting , and possibly opposite . Also 1999 refuses to drop from our top analogs lol.

If it wasn’t for this tropical system we had the perfect setup for hot temps . I don’t think the models were overshooting for today and yesterday at all given the setup and likely the opposite . What they missed of course is the more expansive rain shield and cloud cover associated with this storm. Models overshoot temps but the setup they showed initially for today was not one where they would have been overshooting , and possibly opposite . Also 1999 refuses to drop from our top analogs lol.
Yeah we probably have just enough milky cirrus today to keep us from the upper 90s but it certainly has that oppressive hot feel outside

I agree completely. If it hadn’t been for the cloud shield moving in here, we definitely could have made a run at the mid to upper 90s like what had been showing earlier this week. Even with the high clouds, I’ve managed to make it to 92 so far, but you can definitely feel the humidity climbing back up… dewpoint now 68

I need some nerds to decipher, but I think tomorrow is going to be stormy and I may get rain!?18D70475-C58E-410D-B624-4C6E92BADB50.png

Sky ice big, wind blow hard, sometimes hard wind spin, rain heavy, sky electricity frequent
The rule of thumb up here for corn is “ knee high by the 4th of July” I don’t think it’s going to make it! ?

Where’s are mid upper 90s ?!? Oh the models overshot again … heat does not prevail … although it still is painful outside
You missed the point , models were not going to overshoot with this setup at all. Where they screw up is with the SW flow, Bermuda ridge setups which tend to end up wetter and more cumulus . This was a downsloping event , that’s how we get our heat. What stopped it was the tropical system .

Back