• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

The June Thread 2021

Lytton canada topped out at 49.6c , possibly 50c today . Holy ---- , holy heck it’s record is about the same as Phoenix Arizona now. 50c temps are some of the rarest possible temps and only ever recorded in few places in earth such as Death Valley , Iraq , and Arizona . Literally that’s it and the Sahara of course. But freaking lush 50 degrees north of the pacific north west in Canada !!!!!!! My god ! I am at a loss of words .
Yeah, Canada’s new record high set at Lytton (121F, breaking the old record of 113F prior to 2021) is hotter than the record high of all but four states!

Last edited:
Sweet

bb703a5d93e73e55b2f849ac6c138843.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm just curious as to what made this heat wave so much hotter than all previous heatwaves.

It's been unusually dry across the NW. Moisture soaks up the heat energy while dry grounds will quickly heat. Think desert. Florida lies along the same latitude as wastelands and deserts that are too far south to benefit from dynamical rain created by mid-latitude fronts. There's not much to initiate convection. S. Florida sees tropical rainfall cause it is between three bodies of water, but the abundant moisture prevents us from heating. The highest temp for my area was 100 or 101. Areas in the NW can see temperatures way above 100 cause they are elevated (high pressure has easier time compressing air), and areas to it's west experience dry conditions (Idaho, Western Montana).

@SD gfs looking toasty again, weird how models are now hugging some heat for us around the 10th and onwards . Hmmmm.

Reactions: SD
Back