• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern The Great December Dump

12z GFS run is better and as meet my expectations. What is happening is, due to the polar and STJ convergence, this will trigger a low in the Gulf early as Wednesday just as I predicted. The low would be underneath the high and track underneath the jet. I'd expect the better trend to continue.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Looks like eastern upstate sc to northern midlands see a good storm. Western upstate not so much. However I question the placement of the high. Because just yesterday it was sliding out fast and today it’s slower. Of course the next run will be different again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's only because the heaviest QPF is modeled on the OP to fall over the W Carolinas. That will change.

Looks like eastern upstate sc to northern midlands see a good storm. Western upstate not so much. However I question the placement of the high. Because just yesterday it was sliding out fast and today it’s slower. Of course the next run will be different again.

I don't recall ever seeing CAD push south into central South Carolina, but not the western Piedmont and northeastern Georgia. I've lived several years in both areas.

12z GFS run is better and as meet my expectations. What is happening is, due to the polar and STJ convergence, this will trigger a low in the Gulf early as Wednesday just as I predicted. The low would be underneath the high and track underneath the jet. I'd expect the better trend to continue.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
Do you expect a NW trend to occur?

I don't recall ever seeing CAD push south into central South Carolina, but not the western Piedmont and northeastern Georgia. I've lived several years in both areas.
Agree, that’s why it’s wrong to a degree. When the CAD pushes clear through Columbia, it most of the time makes it to Atlanta.

For ice storms, I much prefer using pivotalweather over tropicaltidbits. This should give a more accurate idea of precip amounts compared to the tropicaltidbits algorithm.
ade337c3b5bdba98a37950528a1cbe4a.jpg
5081177f9941c7ff504ef90db343d40f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Ignore the placement and boundaries of frozen precipitation right now. Is the high in a favorable position and of favorable strength to deliver cold air into the damming regions through the event? Is the source region cold? Is there plenty of precipitation? Is the pattern supportive of those things? If all of those things are favorable, wintry precip will be expensive and damming will be more intense than currently modeled.

I'm not sure why some look at the CMC. Can you tell me what has the CNC done for us lately. I read somewhere they are due for an update next year.

Your right, but I've seen the cmc out do other models in events like this. I look at it to compare with other models and plus it's a model to look at

I'm not sure why some look at the CMC. Can you tell me what has the CNC done for us lately. I read somewhere they are due for an update next year.

The CMC has been doing better than the GFS. I'm not saying its right, the American model solutions are on an island by themselves.
model verif.PNG
CMC has what you don't want to see.gem_z500_vort_us_18.png

I don’t normally look at the JMA either but I’ve seen some post it so here it is
jma_z500a_us_fh72_trend.gif

Ignore the placement and boundaries of frozen precipitation right now. Is the high in a favorable position and of favorable strength to deliver cold air into the damming regions through the event? Is the source region cold? Is there plenty of precipitation? Is the pattern supportive of those things? If all of those things are favorable, wintry precip will be expensive and damming will be more intense than currently modeled.

All good questions to ask ourselves the next three Euro suite runs.

CMC was all over the December 2017 wonderfulness. I know not to focus so much on p-type placement right now but this is trending in the wrong direction for metro ATL. Could be a nice bag of mixed precip for a Carolina Crusher.

Back