• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern The Great December Dump

68/51 and clouds starting to come in soon. It is a nice day, but we're +14 from the normal high. Bleh

These 2 trends are intrinsically linked to one another.

Deeper trough off of Newfoundland = more CAA & confluence over New England = stronger CAD high at day 5. It also helps when our s/w isn't getting squashed into oblivion as it was on earlier runs.

View attachment 28257

View attachment 28258
Pretty obvious why the CMC is colder. CMC does have a cold bias though

You can see the CMC low is actually aiding our CAD regions here. Verses the euro where the low is working against the CAD. You can see the CAD fighting back in NC on euro.

for anyone to see frozen we have to get help from the Low pressure. Whether that’s created cold or wind funneling cold into the CAD.View attachment 28297View attachment 28298
this is why we need this storm to be faster, no? CMC has snow and the low is already off of the coast of SC, but Euro has it near Mobile at the same time. I know we want the high to anchor in place, but seems like the s/w speed is even more important

ecmwf-ens_mslpaNorm_us_fh144_trend.gif

It's easy to see why we're going in a direction that's depositing more low-level cold air into our parent surface high over NE US & SE Canada as time progresses. Notice the amplifying trough east of Newfoundland on the 2nd animation below. The wave pattern is definitely favorable for a winter storm in the planetary-scale sense.

I'm seeing quite a few people here already jumping to conclusions about how much cold air we're going to have to work with in this setup based on the current status of NWP operational models & their ensemble suites. The general amount of low-level cold is actually yet to be determined as evidenced by the pair of z500 & MSLPa "trend" animations in this post. Outside of the mountains, if you're well north of I-20 in the Carolinas or VA, tread carefully & cautiously when making hasty assumptions about how much cold air there's going to generally be in this setup because it's still within the realm of error this far out that enough could be present to generate wintry precipitation & vis versa if you're in the mountains of NC/TN.

ecmwf-ens_z500a_namer_fh144_trend (3).gif

this is why we need this storm to be faster, no? CMC has snow and the low is already off of the coast of SC, but Euro has it near Mobile at the same time. I know we want the high to anchor in place, but seems like the s/w speed is even more important

The speed and amplitude of the s/w are equally important here, a stronger & faster s/w would certainly be to our benefit. An unfortunate reality that emerges in this situation however is that the phase speed of rossby waves and their intensity are inversely proportional to one another because more intense & meridionally extensive waves move slower in the mean stream flow due to planetary vorticity advection & vis versa. Basically, we won't be able to have our cake and eat it too, thus we'll likely have to rely on the northern stream to give us a configuration we want.

We need a stronger parent mid-upper level trough to reinforce the CAD dome over the Carolinas & NE GA plus generate enough dynamical cooling thru sensible + latent heat fluxes that cool the column to a marginal (enough) level in order to produce snow/ice. The s/w timing is also key because we want both enough time for the air mass to become well entrenched while also not affording so much time that it leaves stage right into the Atlantic. The problem we're currently having is diametrically opposed to the general sentiment here in that we need the cold air to arrive first. In reality, the air mass is actually leaving too quickly on the models before the s/w reaches the SE US. Additional northern stream waves will also reinforce this Newfoundland vortex/50-50 low late this week into the following week & may play a significant role in the evolution of this event.

I would love to just see some snow falling right before Christmas, even if we don't have any accumulations. It could just be an appetizer for more to come in January and February, which is really the heart of winter for us. I think anyone seeing snow in December should consider it a big win and a bonus.

I would love to just see some snow falling right before Christmas, even if we don't have any accumulations. It could just be an appetizer for more to come in January and February, which is really the heart of winter for us. I think anyone seeing snow in December should consider it a big win and a bonus.

That's what we said about the December 9th snow last year. We saw nothing the rest of the year. I'll take my rain this go round and wait for hopefully better situations later on in the winter.

That's what we said about the December 9th snow last year. We saw nothing the rest of the year. I'll take my rain this go round and wait for hopefully better situations later on in the winter.

That's why I said it would be a bonus.

Back