• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern The Great December Dump

Man, sayonara drought!
View attachment 27945

This drought buster brought to by the letter....Miller A :(

Nice to see we have an A today, and perhaps another one modeled at the end of next week although it probably won't be cold enough for snow either. Just keep the Miller A train going and eventually we'll cash in. December has transitioned nicely to a pattern that we can work with in January and February if it remains persistent IMO.

Wow, GFS really blew up overnight. 10 days away, but there is a definite storm signal there for that time. The way the pattern is progressing looks great for potential.

It’s funny to note (re: the distant GFS storm) that all the other models (from what I can tell) are extremely suppressed compared to the GFS. You’d almost expect the opposite.

Wow, GFS really blew up overnight. 10 days away, but there is a definite storm signal there for that time. The way the pattern is progressing looks great for potential.
I love the way the American modeling is handing this storm, but the Euro has absolutely nothing, so we’re at a crossroad. Though I think the pattern could come back on the Euro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the way the American modeling is handing this storm, but the Euro has absolutely nothing, so we’re at a crossroad. Though I think the pattern could come back on the Euro.

Yeah, and it worries me that even though the GFS is getting hits and has a pretty great overall set up, the GEFS is not really picking it up. That's concerning to me. You'd think if it was a real threat you'd get some good pings on the ensemble members. I'd say if the signal doesn't increase by Monday it's just not cooking for one reason or another.

Yeah, and it worries me that even though the GFS is getting hits and has a pretty great overall set up, the GEFS is not really picking it up. That's concerning to me. You'd think if it was a real threat you'd get some good pings on the ensemble members. I'd say if the signal doesn't increase by Monday it's just not cooking for one reason or another.
Acually, the 06z GFS increased the mean
AFB97562-CDB5-4689-9904-55B9523D7C05.png

It’s funny to note (re: the distant GFS storm) that all the other models (from what I can tell) are extremely suppressed compared to the GFS. You’d almost expect the opposite.
It's all about timing. We have a pronounced split stream this year. People forget to take that into account when evaluating long range model output. It's bad in the D10 period in general, but throw in a pronounced split flow with waves moving through every couple of days and you will take bad D10 performance and turn it into horrific D10 performance. Our best bet is to look at the big picture pattern present on the models and see if there is agreement that a winter storm is possible. In this case, it is. But the nature of the pattern means that timing has to be nearly perfect. The window isn't very wide.

We've had exactly 3 out of the last 10 GFS runs show a winter storm (outside of some slop in the foothills before the changeover).

Last night's 0z run. You got a high just north of the Lakes. No 50/50, but enough energy in the N/S to phase in with the southern stream and allow for juuuuust enough cold air to support snow.

0zGFS.png

gfs_z500_mslp_namer_39.png

The Euro has no phasing...the southern stream system moves in later. Here's the 240 map, as I don't have the 228 one.

ecmwf_z500_mslp_namer_11.png

And the CMC at 228:

gem_z500_mslp_namer_39.png

Here's the 0z GFS from 12/12. Much better interaction with the N/S. It phases and pulls down the needed cold:

0zGFS12.png

gfs_z500_mslp_namer_41.png

That one is really nice. I don't anticipate a super cold and suppressed pattern. The southern wave needs to phase with a northern wave. Blocking may help with this. But right now, the flow is way too complicated for the models to remotely predict. Phasing is going to be needed. The good thing is, it's possible. The tough things are, A: it's not probable and B: we won't know for a good while yet.

It's all about timing. We have a pronounced split stream this year. People forget to take that into account when evaluating long range model output. It's bad in the D10 period in general, but throw in a pronounced split flow with waves moving through every couple of days and you will take bad D10 performance and turn it into horrific D10 performance. Our best bet is to look at the big picture pattern present on the models and see if there is agreement that a winter storm is possible. In this case, it is. But the nature of the pattern means that timing has to be nearly perfect. The window isn't very wide.

We've had exactly 3 out of the last 10 GFS runs show a winter storm (outside of some slop in the foothills before the changeover).

Last night's 0z run. You got a high just north of the Lakes. No 50/50, but enough energy in the N/S to phase in with the southern stream and allow for juuuuust enough cold air to support snow.

View attachment 27949

View attachment 27951

The Euro has no phasing...the southern stream system moves in later. Here's the 240 map, as I don't have the 228 one.

View attachment 27952

And the CMC at 228:

View attachment 27953

Here's the 0z GFS from 12/12. Much better interaction with the N/S. It phases and pulls down the needed cold:

View attachment 27954

View attachment 27956

That one is really nice. I don't anticipate a super cold and suppressed pattern. The southern wave needs to phase with a northern wave. Blocking may help with this. But right now, the flow is way too complicated for the models to remotely predict. Phasing is going to be needed. The good thing is, it's possible. The tough things are, A: it's not probable and B: we won't know for a good while yet.

0e1f4bee413f9f6247eb8ca1f67253f5.jpg

This is a classic track. IF we want a storm we will get one from this setup this winter.

Acually, the 06z GFS increased the mean
View attachment 27955
Isn't that really just because of a few members skewing the mean? The mean at KHSV is down. In any case, if the GEFS isn't even the same model as the GFS (as in GEFS hasn't been updated yet), then I am not sure that there is significant value in looking for agreement between the GFS Op and the GEFS.

Back