• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern The Great December Dump

73 right now at RDU, mean December maximum is 72 so unusually warm now for a typical December month, and much above average for a typical December day. Meanwhile, wedge keeping Greenville sc and Atlanta cool. It hit 81 in Laurinburg NC today, so parts of the state broke 80! 77 in Greenville NC right now. 79 in Fayetteville as well! If wedge was a bit weaker could have been a good deal warmer in Raleigh.

I enjoy big warmups followed by sharp cooldowns. I wish it would produce some severe weather for us!

I see 77 right now just south of Raleigh in Harnett county, wonder what sd and rain cold are reporting?

Interesting FB post by Glenn Burns today...
I was with the great folks from our Atlanta National Weather Service this morning talking about upcoming winter. Although the Climate Prediction Center is saying WARMER THAN AVERAGE TEMPS this winter, most don't agree. I am one of them. I am going cold and wet...and I see the chance of several snows. We are not in an El Nino or La Nina pattern. We are in a neutral pattern. We've seen lots of snow in the neutral pattern. The Blizzard of '93 was in a neutral pattern!

It has dropped 20°since my early morning run! Excited that Burnsie is on board too. A rarity when the usual naysayers are all in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The temperature fluctuation of the past 24 hours has been fun to watch. We didn't rise above 50F until midnight last night and hit 64.6F this morning around 9, and have since fallen almost 20 degrees back to 45.9F.

It looks like places like Augusta and Columbia are in 75-80F warmth today.

NWS just posted a special weather statement:

"...FLURRIES MAY MIX WITH LIGHT RAIN AT TIMES TONIGHT ACROSS PORTIONS OF NORTHWEST GEORGIA... FLURRIES COULD MIX WITH LIGHT RAIN AT TIMES ACROSS PORTIONS OF NORTHWEST GEORGIA OVERNIGHT. AREAS THAT WILL HAVE THE BEST POTENTIAL OF SEEING A FEW FLURRIES WILL MAINLY BE BETWEEN ROME AND THE NORTHWEST SUBURBS OF ATLANTA. NO SNOW ACCUMULATION IS EXPECTED. "

A little surprised to see this as insignificant as it is.

d57bb705d92e0424b839a08a6b90e73d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeing a cascade of cyclonic wave breaking in the North Atlantic storm track coupled w/ a parade of 50-50 lows & having the tropospheric polar vortex in your backyard over Northern Canada is making the weenie side of me very happy in the longer term.

If you want a beefy -NAO & threats for coastal cyclones, this how you get them

ecmwf_z500a_namer_fh96-240.gif

Seeing a cascade of cyclonic wave breaking in the North Atlantic storm track coupled w/ a parade of 50-50 lows & having the tropospheric polar vortex in your backyard over Northern Canada is making the weenie side of me very happy in the longer term.

If you want a beefy -NAO & threats for coastal cyclones, this how you get them

View attachment 27705
Seems mild, though, just looking at height anoms. I guess with confluence to the NE, you'll have surface highs to contend with, feeding in cooler air. But the evolution of this looks like it may force a +PNA, which would lower heights to the east.

Seems mild, though, just looking at height anoms. I guess with confluence to the NE, you'll have surface highs to contend with, feeding in cooler air. But the evolution of this looks like it may force a +PNA, which would lower heights to the east.

I think it’s mostly because the Euro is having big trouble forecasting the PNA.

Attachments

• C8B6E361-7AB6-4620-AD92-B049C8566D0F.gif
    C8B6E361-7AB6-4620-AD92-B049C8566D0F.gif
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
Back