• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Sports Thread

Glad to see UNCG and App State win their conference tournament and get into the big dance. I think Wes Miller should be highly considered to take over at UNC when Roy leaves. App State lost 6 of their last 7 games headed into the Southern Conference tournament, and then won 4 games in 4 days.

App's not in the SoCon anymore.

Lord almighty this Alabama team is good. 47-19 on an admittedly bad Miss St team at halftime.

Wow, UVA is gone from the ACC tournament because of COVID, too. If somehow Carolina can win this thing over FSU and GA Tech when they both have had games canceled and didn't have to play as much it will be quite an accomplishment. I am just worried about how things are going to be with the NCAA tournament now. They say if you have 5 players you can still play in the big dance. I hope that doesn't turn into a mess like the ACC tournament.

How bout them Yellow Jackets! I hate that we couldn’t play UVA but I’ll take it any way. If we can play defense like that in the dance we could make a run.

Carolina has a tough road in the tournament, but i actually think the first weekend would be the tougher than them than the Sweet 16 round. Wisconsin is the type of team that usually gives them trouble, playing old man at the YMCA ball and shooting a bunch of threes. If they get by them they probably face Baylor. I think they actually have a shot to make the Final 4 if they can get out of the first two rounds.

And he and TV Teddy will not be in the NCAA tournament because of COVID. Also glad to see Brian Dorsey won't, either.
Brian Kersey, Mike Eades, Jamie Luckey, Roger Ayers, Tv Ted Valentine, and Karl Hess. I know whenever they are officiating a UNC game its gonna be a long night because they will let the other team hack away and call as few fouls as possible.

There are other officials that I loved, and knew based on the way they called our games that they were pro UNC. However, they rarely officiate anymore

Carolina has a tough road in the tournament, but i actually think the first weekend would be the tougher than them than the Sweet 16 round. Wisconsin is the type of team that usually gives them trouble, playing old man at the YMCA ball and shooting a bunch of threes. If they get by them they probably face Baylor. I think they actually have a shot to make the Final 4 if they can get out of the first two rounds.
Agreed. Could totally see Wisconsin bogging them down and preventing a rhythm being established. I wish I was more confident in this game.

On the other hand, Carolina has been an 8 seed three times. 2 of those times they ended up beating the 1 seed in the 2nd round. Oklahoma in 1990 (on a Rick Fox layup at the buzzer) and Stanford in 2000 (and also--they made the final 4 that year). So like you said, if they can just get out of the 1st round..

Agreed. Could totally see Wisconsin bogging them down and preventing a rhythm being established. I wish I was more confident in this game.

On the other hand, Carolina has been an 8 seed three times. 2 of those times they ended up beating the 1 seed in the 2nd round. Oklahoma in 1990 (on a Rick Fox layup at the buzzer) and Stanford in 2000 (and also--they made the final 4 that year). So like you said, if they can just get out of the 1st round..
I want to see the UNC team that played ND and Louisville. Our bigs (Day'Ron, Kessler, Bacot) weren't just posting up, they were getting the ball in the high post and driving/attacking the rim and getting and1s. They were blocking shots, altering shots, and getting offensive rebounds for 2nd chance points.

If they show up like that, I doubt Wisconsin has seen anything like that. You cant replicate it in practice. We need the bigs bc I think Wisconsin will be successful at keeping our guards on the perimeter. They wont allow Caleb Love, RJ Davis, and Anthony Harris to drive the lane. Its up to the bigs to be dominant. If we rebound great, maybe we can get some easy transition points.

UNC's next coach could either be Wes Miller or Hubert Davis. If its going to be Hubert, I wish hed leave UNC and get some head coaching experience under his belt first.

I dont want another Guthridge-Doherty experience

UNC's next coach could either be Wes Miller or Hubert Davis. If its going to be Hubert, I wish hed leave UNC and get some head coaching experience under his belt first.

I dont want another Guthridge-Doherty experience
I'm actually shocked Wes Miller is still at UNCG, and wasn't hired away by another school by now. I bet he's received some offers. Maybe he's biding his time for the right opportunity.

I honestly don't know if Davis would be good or not. He seems like he has potential, but as you said we won't know until he's in the HC spot.

BTW--in Doherty's defense, he did recruit the majority of the 2005 title team. (too bad he alienated practically everyone in the program during his 3 year tenure)

I'm actually shocked Wes Miller is still at UNCG, and wasn't hired away by another school by now. I bet he's received some offers. Maybe he's biding his time for the right opportunity.

I honestly don't know if Davis would be good or not. He seems like he has potential, but as you said we won't know until he's in the HC spot.

BTW--in Doherty's defense, he did recruit the majority of the 2005 title team. (too bad he alienated practically everyone in the program during his 3 year tenure)
Yeah, Doherty knew how to recruit. Wish we had him for that purpose alone. In retrospect, I wish he wouldve coached longer elsewhere b4 coming to UNC.

We had 2 final 4s with Guthridge, off of Deans players. He just wasnt a recruiter. Matt could recruit, he just needed more coaching experience.

Given Roy has brought 3 NCs to UNC, cant imagine any other scenario that couldve been better.

But we need to plan now for Roys absence, its coming. Truth be told, Im not of the mindset that it has to be "family". Mark Few, Jay Wright, and some others Id take should Roy retire.

Yeah, Doherty knew how to recruit. Wish we had him for that purpose alone. In retrospect, I wish he wouldve coached longer elsewhere b4 coming to UNC.

We had 2 final 4s with Guthridge, off of Deans players. He just wasnt a recruiter. Matt could recruit, he just needed more coaching experience.

Given Roy has brought 3 NCs to UNC, cant imagine any other scenario that couldve been better.

But we need to plan now for Roys absence, its coming. Truth be told, Im not of the mindset that it has to be "family". Mark Few, Jay Wright, and some others Id take should Roy retire.
I say they'll either get Nova's or Illinois' coach.

Agreed on Doherty. He had the one good year at ND at the time, but that wasn't enough to go on. If memory is correct, he was the Plan C after Williams and George Karl...

I like both Mark Few and Jay Wright, but I'm not sure if they'd leave? I honestly wouldn't mind Brad Stevens, but not sure if he's ever coming back to college. Also I heard King Rice ain't doing too bad at Monmouth, so maybe he should be at least considered.

Agreed on Doherty. He had the one good year at ND at the time, but that wasn't enough to go on. If memory is correct, he was the Plan C after Williams and George Karl...

I like both Mark Few and Jay Wright, but I'm not sure if they'd leave? I honestly wouldn't mind Brad Stevens, but not sure if he's ever coming back to college. Also I heard King Rice ain't doing too bad at Monmouth, so maybe he should be at least considered.
I might be living with the idea we are still one of the premier jobs in the land. Both of those coaches have made their school relevant, and top 10 year after year. I hope we are still considered a more prestigious job than Zag or Nova, though being great at a school for sustained years is enough reason to stay, U get that.

Brad Stevens has proven he can do a lot with a little. I know in college he had Hayward, but that team was limited and I think they had Duke in 2010. If we landed Stevens, Id consider myself lucky for sure.

Back