• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Sports Thread

The Bucks, as much as I do like them, do some head scratching things sometimes. Giannis shooting 3's, not backing down smaller defenders, Brook Lopez passing out of the paint when he should easily lay it up on the glass for the 2. However, they are long and can defend.

If Tre Young is getting those calls in the Bucks series like he did in the Philly series, then its going to be a seven gamer. If he doesn't, I say Bucks in 5.

Talk about the Clippers, I have no clue why Doc Rivers had such an issue with pick n roll when he had Chris Paul, DeAndre Jordan, and Blake Griffin. Makes no sense. Chris Paul is a great picknroll point guard, and DeAndre and Blake Griffin can finish at the rim. However, I guess Doc Rivers sees pick n roll as too "old school" for his liking. Had he ran the pick n roll more in LA, I think they could have mustered out a conference title and championship contention.

My only fear for the Bucks (who I think is the favorite now) is the fact that they did have issues with a team that was basically without two of its main stars (Kyrie and James). I know James Harden played, but you could tell he was no where 100 percent, so basically Kevin Durant and some role players came close to beating them. Look out for that, it might not be much of an issue with Atlanta, but come Phoenix or LA time, they need to iron that crap out.

Don't think I've said so on here but what I believe with the Hawks still stands imo.

I think Trae Young can be a star/superstar for you but I'm not sure he can be your best all-around player. I think he needs to be playing with a wing that is a better all-around player.

It's actually not outside the realm of possibility that said player is on this team. It's a shame that De'Andre Hunter didn't get to play a full year, as it looked very possible he could become that guy, but then his knee became a problem. And although they aren't as talented offensively as other teams, when Hunter was able to play vs the Knicks, he was locking up whoever needed to be locked up on defense when he got switched onto them.

And although he hasn't had a good start to his career (even though he showed some real signs before COVID caused a pause last season), there was apparently problems between Reddish and Pierce. So, he gets one more mulligan with McMillan (it hasn't been announced but he is all but not interim coach, he'll be the Hawks coach next season too), who apparently has done well in bringing out the best in athletic wings.

If it's not them, then it will be interesting to see the way they go to try to solve this. They could also use a big oaf for guys like Embiid, but really in this age, I feel like star caliber wing talent is what you need the most.

But yeah, I can't believe what I'm saying but this is likely the team that is most likely to break the ice in the big 3 sports for Atlanta now. 13/24 on FTs on Friday can be read as a choke, but a series in which you've been favored in in 0 games being taken to 7 while your perimeter defense is out (and you can tell since Seth is playing like his brother lmao) really isn't one ultimately.

What happened with the Braves last year is much more of one, and although they could just reboot next year, even if Freeman leaves (because Acuna/Albies are great young talents), the vibes here just aren't very good. It's shades of the Falcons after 28-3.

I want to know why Tre Young is suddenly getting the Manu Ginobili/Tony Parker treatment. He flails his body into defenders drawing fouls that HE created. I dislike that kind of basketball. Thanks Duke University.

The Bucks, as much as I do like them, do some head scratching things sometimes. Giannis shooting 3's, not backing down smaller defenders, Brook Lopez passing out of the paint when he should easily lay it up on the glass for the 2. However, they are long and can defend.

If Tre Young is getting those calls in the Bucks series like he did in the Philly series, then its going to be a seven gamer. If he doesn't, I say Bucks in 5.

Talk about the Clippers, I have no clue why Doc Rivers had such an issue with pick n roll when he had Chris Paul, DeAndre Jordan, and Blake Griffin. Makes no sense. Chris Paul is a great picknroll point guard, and DeAndre and Blake Griffin can finish at the rim. However, I guess Doc Rivers sees pick n roll as too "old school" for his liking. Had he ran the pick n roll more in LA, I think they could have mustered out a conference title and championship contention.

My only fear for the Bucks (who I think is the favorite now) is the fact that they did have issues with a team that was basically without two of its main stars (Kyrie and James). I know James Harden played, but you could tell he was no where 100 percent, so basically Kevin Durant and some role players came close to beating them. Look out for that, it might not be much of an issue with Atlanta, but come Phoenix or LA time, they need to iron that crap out.
I think the Suns are the favorites now to win NBA title. I tend to believe whoever wins the Clippers/Suns series wins title; the other two teams in the East are just too flawed.

I want to know why Tre Young is suddenly getting the Manu Ginobili/Tony Parker treatment. He flails his body into defenders drawing fouls that HE created. I dislike that kind of basketball. Thanks Duke University.
He's been getting those calls all year. So has Lebron, Harden, George, Luka, basically all of your premiere ball handlers.

I agree that it sucks, and the rules committe is actually going to review that in the off season. But it's the game right now, and the good players know how to take advantage of it. I hope they change it. But it seems like almost all sports have made rules to promote more offense, at the expense of being a bit unfair to defenders.

I think the Suns are the favorites now to win NBA title. I tend to believe whoever wins the Clippers/Suns series wins title; the other two teams in the East are just too flawed.
I agree. I still think the Clippers are better, but we'll see. Either way, the West should win this year.

The Bucks are overrated. Giannis does some dumb stuff, like you said. The Nets went all in on 3 players and ended up in the semis with 1 and 1/2 players. And Harris went MIA. If he shows up at all, Nets win easily.

Doc Rivers is not a good playoff coach. He just isn't, for the most part. Simmons cost Philly that series. And you could see it coming a mile away.

Bucks should beat the Hawks. If Paul comes back and Kawhi stays out, the Clippers should win the west. If they do, I think they roll.

I'd love to pull for our local team The Hawks, but I do not like floppers and actors which is what Tre Young has become (much to his success). Outside of that, they're easy to like. Capella can do some work in the paint as well.

You're right, Doc Rivers isn't a good playoff coach, and he is a head scratcher. His hatred for the pick and roll cost him in LA (who had great pick and roll players). I'd roll with what works best with the players I have, whether its a playbook I liked or not. You wouldn't abandon the pick and roll with Malone and Stockton. Simple math for me.

I'd love to pull for our local team The Hawks, but I do not like floppers and actors which is what Tre Young has become (much to his success). Outside of that, they're easy to like. Capella can do some work in the paint as well.

You're right, Doc Rivers isn't a good playoff coach, and he is a head scratcher. His hatred for the pick and roll cost him in LA (who had great pick and roll players). I'd roll with what works best with the players I have, whether its a playbook I liked or not. You wouldn't abandon the pick and roll with Malone and Stockton. Simple math for me.
Even the title Rivers won with the Celtics in 2008, he damn near blew it.

This off-season the nba is looking to get rid of that rule.

Patrick Beverly doing the dirty work headbutting Devon Booker. Beverly is the ultimate hatchet man. Dude will do anything for his team.

Tbh, Trae Young used to get a loooooootttttt more foul calls that he does now (in the regular season his free throw attempts were below 8 on average in the second half of this season, but he was still effective despite the fact that his 3 completely disappeared). He still gets calls but not as much as he used to, and he hasn't been baiting as much anyway.

(I do think he was baiting vs the Sixers, but then...he apparently wasn't alone because there was plenty of whining about Embiid baiting)

You don't have people crying about him being a foul merchant out of thin air. But they're going to be surprised when he's still effective despite the rule change. Frankly...the same goes for Harden and for Doncic too (as there has been complaints about all of them baiting).

Good players exploit the way the game is officiated. Always have always will. When it changes, they will still be good.

Good players exploit the way the game is officiated. Always have always will. When it changes, they will still be good.
There would be a lot less flopping if it wasnt being purchased. I dont see 2 time MVP Giannis doing this, though he should. Is Tre good? Sure. Great? No. Dont like the acting and I do not enjoy seeing it rewarded. Other guys in the league draw fouls, sure. Lebron barrels through you and still gets the call, but he doesnt pull a Tre Young and act like he got shot out of a cannon when he leans into you. Harden and Durant run their arms through your hands (sweep through) to draw their fouls, still not as deceitful to me as Tre is as the Harden and Durant fouls as those players are in their body. Tre seeks out people to lean into then act like he got mulled over by them. To each their own, I dont like any of it really. I guess I am more of a Naismith fan, where contact was an exception in the game he designed. However, youre right, stars will be stars. If an official is buying you might as well sell it.

Hard to see how anybody coming out of the east has a realistic shot at the title this year.

Bud isn't really any different from what he was as Hawks coach. If you can make 3's, you can beat him, even if you have a guy that is a stud like Giannis.

And that's regardless of what the Hawks do in this series. If they don't win, well oh well, they were not supposed to. It's the Bucks that are supposed to be championship contenders.

Lol Hawks! I told y'all they are legit.

Back