• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Sports Thread

Yeah it’s getting ridiculous tbh. Hopefully common sense will prevail sooner rather than later. Can’t imagine how dorms would be safer than an outdoor football field with players wearing gloves and helmets!
There is this circulating sentiment that colleges will probably go back completely virtual in a month and send all students home. And I'll be ticked..... either do it now or not at all, we know how to cope with this now better than back in March

There is this circulating sentiment that colleges will probably go back completely virtual in a month and send all students home. And I'll be ticked..... either do it now or not at all, we know how to cope with this now better than back in March
I've heard the same that basically the first month is a trial to see how it goes.

Perhaps one of the concerns about football is the danger of spreading the virus in huddles? Any opinion? I’m pretty neutral on this and just want honest discussion. Does huddling make it much riskier or not?

Edit: Regardless, protesting together tightly was ok with no concern about spreading it from the media. So why not allow football?

At some point the financial crunch is going to be massive, sports related.... I've enjoyed MLB season thus far but can't help but think, all these players getting paid millions and all those empty seats, severely cuts revenue for pro teams. Of course this applies to all pro sports

Colleges giving out tons of scholarships but money sports (Football and basketball) on hold, severely cuts revenue for colleges..

At some point something has to give
Braves said they had lost 95% revenue. Many colleges sports will go belly up. I agree the financial impact is not here yet. It’s going to be ugly. Very ugly.

Perhaps one of the concerns about football is the danger of spreading the virus in huddles? Any opinion? I’m pretty neutral on this and just want honest discussion. Does huddling make it much riskier or not?

Edit: Regardless, protesting together tightly was ok per the media. So why not football?
Im sure but they were all to wear face shields I thought.

I've heard the same that basically the first month is a trial to see how it goes.
I just don’t get it. All other jobs and hospitals are pretty much just going forward. If someone tests positive they quarantine and every else keeps working. Makes sense. You can’t have a nurse test positive and send everyone home she has been around including doctors.

The 1st month is to capture fees.
Its all about money. Same with football. If Foitball is not played it will catastrophically turn college athletics on its head. Wait for it.

At some point the financial crunch is going to be massive, sports related.... I've enjoyed MLB season thus far but can't help but think, all these players getting paid millions and all those empty seats, severely cuts revenue for pro teams. Of course this applies to all pro sports

Colleges giving out tons of scholarships but money sports (Football and basketball) on hold, severely cuts revenue for colleges..

Maybe all sports will go bankrupt and we will be left with nothing ?

Very valid points. I think MLB is feeling the pain right now on revenue. So much so, that the Reds have sent plans to Hamilton County and the city of Cincinnati to let a number of fans into the stands this year. They have approved these plans and are now waiting on the governors stamp of approval. The cubs are wanting to do the same thing but they have a much steeper hill, errr I mean mountain, to climb with Mayor Lightfoot and Illinois Governor to approve.

Edit: Regardless, protesting together tightly was ok with no concern about spreading it from the media. So why not allow football?
I’m interested in this as well. Football players have on gloves, helmet covering their entire head, and pretty much between the pads and jerseys and pants their entire body is covered. Meanwhile, the NBA has players with no coverings (besides jerseys) and literally right in each other’s faces. Football can be played safely, probably safer than the NBA. Which is why I think you had the ACC medical expert saying so.

Back