• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Sports Thread

Wonder if they're blaming the ACC for a conflict of interest as well, like they are with the SEC on r/cfb.

Ron Courson said about a minute ago (few days ago) that if he didn't think it was safe for Georgia to proceed, that they wouldn't be trying to, but the SEC's medical team only has 2 infectious disease doctors.

Wonder if they're blaming the ACC for a conflict of interest as well, like they are with the SEC on r/cfb.

Ron Courson said about a minute ago (few days ago) that if he didn't think it was safe for Georgia to proceed, that they wouldn't be trying to, but the SEC's medical team only has 2 infectious disease doctors.
The ACC’s medical expert (From Duke I think) said it’s safe to play. I don’t think the ACC has had any positives since intake.

Politics. Big 10 is mainly in Dem states whereas the ACC is mainly in GOP states. It is silly but true.

Big 10 is a stupid name.

You really think they would choose politics over making money in this case? No. They are just trying to do the right thing for the safety of the players.

You really think they would choose politics over making money in this case? No. They are just trying to do the right thing for the safety of the players.

I'm not taking sides. Rather, I'm saying that I firmly believe that politics are unfortunately playing a part in this. Do you think if the Pac 10 were instead located in the SE US that they'd be as firm against playing? I definitely do not. Do you think that the SEC would be favoring playing as much as they are if their schools were on the west coast or in the NE US instead of in the SE US? I highly doubt it. Keep in mind where the bulk of the alumni are living.

Big 12 vs SEC/ACC now. If they hold firm, slim hope for CFB for 20/21.

Spring isn't possible, so if everyone cancels, welp, see you in fall 2021.

Big 12 vs SEC/ACC now. If they hold firm, slim hope for CFB for 20/21.

Spring isn't possible, so if everyone cancels, welp, see you in fall 2021.
Yep spring is a big no go. I believe title IX says you would have to play all sports in the spring then, no way you can play 23 sports in one semester. It’s definitely Fall 2020 or bust.

I'm not taking sides. Rather, I'm saying that I firmly believe that politics are unfortunately playing a part in this. Do you think if the Pac 10 were instead located in the SE US that they'd be as firm against playing? I definitely do not. Do you think that the SEC would be favoring playing as much as they are if their schools were on the west coast or in the NE US instead of in the SE US? I highly doubt it. Keep in mind where the bulk of the alumni are living.
Well it's a pandemic so it really shouldn't be a political thing at all. Unfortunately, our leader made it into one. The fact that there is shown to be heart damage in a not insignificant percentage of people that get the virus, even in mild cases, seems like it would be a huge liability issue. I think that's a big reason why they are choosing to push off their season and hope there get to be some treatments so that doesn't have to be a concern. Maybe the ACC and SEC decide they will take the liability risk, but the moment something bad ends up happening because of it the whole thing comes crashing down.

Well it's a pandemic so it really shouldn't be a political thing at all. Unfortunately, our leader made it into one. The fact that there is shown to be heart damage in a not insignificant percentage of people that get the virus, even in mild cases, seems like it would be a huge liability issue. I think that's a big reason why they are choosing to push off their season and hope there get to be some treatments so that doesn't have to be a concern. Maybe the ACC and SEC decide they will take the liability risk, but the moment something bad ends up happening because of it the whole thing comes crashing down.
I’m curious do you think football should cease altogether since the risk of concussions exist to the fact it leads to brain damage and a shorter life for some?

Whatever Big 12 decides today will decide the fate of the 2020 CFB season.

then you can't have students on campus either right?

then you can't have students on campus either right?

Yeah it would not surprise me if college reverses course and goes full online outside of lab. If I were a student at a big campus I'd feel cheated. When that happens I'd go home.

Back