• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Sizzling Shenanigans: warm season whamby

More like Atlanta gets the mega 40 degree rain and upstate gets the mega 34 degree rain
La Niña dawg. Cold air intrusions are so much better during Nina’s because the Aleutian ridge can sometimes go poleward. Unlike the El Niño GOAK trough

I'm concerned about Atlanta, nobody is posting from there. Hope everyone is ok
Power just came back on me for in Lilburn, NE of Atlanta. It went out around 4 am. Lots of flooding around the area. Not a lot of noticeable wind damage in my immediate vicinity though.

As far as the snarky comments yesterday that's a totally different issue but yes at the end of the day I think there was way too much focus on Atlanta and not as much on how large the east side of this thing was... I mean there was surge on the Atlantic side of Florida from a storm in the Gulf. That is beyond crazy
Are we talking focus from posters here or the NHC and NWS? I have yet to hear or read of an area that was impacted that wasn't warned appropriately.

Guys this is a weather enthusiast board, and as such, we are allowed to bash nhc for their embarrassing short range cone placement. It doesn’t mean it had much impact to normal people. Normal people won’t even care or realize how badly the storm was forecasted bc the impacts were so wide ranging and severe.

From a public standpoint, they did fine. But from an actual forecasting standpoint… a blind monkey could have done better and we know what. It’s honestly not even comprehensible for us. I have literally no idea what they were looking at to make such a bad track/cone yesterday in to last night.

Guys this is a weather enthusiast board, and as such, we are allowed to bash nhc for their embarrassing short range cone placement. It doesn’t mean it had much impact to normal people. Normal people won’t even care or realize how badly the storm was forecasted bc the impacts were so wide ranging and severe.

From a public standpoint, they did fine. But from an actual forecasting standpoint… a blind monkey could have done better and we know what. It’s honestly not even comprehensible for us. I have literally no idea what they were looking at to make such a bad track/cone yesterday in to last night.
Agreed, at least the NHC did put out a short statement on their forecast cone/track performance for Hurricane Helene.

The Georgia Appalachian Trail Club is reporting that the AT bridge over the River in Erwin has been washed away, and that Uncle Johnny’s Hostel is also gone.

1727470474916.png

this is the bridge looking from Johnny's before it collapsed.

1727470749796.png

It's late September. I don't know what kind of numbers of people would have stayed on the trail thinking they were going to be getting doable weather.

1727469449172.png

News reports risk of excessive rainfall and increased risk of landslides.

1727469653738.png

1727468287851.png

Unicoi County is one of the Flash Flood Emergency counties. Erwin is where patients and staff are on the roof of the Unicoi County Hospital.

1727468928257.png

Attachments

• 1727468537628.png
    1727468537628.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Some folks need to go back and do some reading before they pop off and claim "MAJOR FAIL" by the NHC and NWS offices. Probably the same people claiming FAIL when they only get 2" instead of 4" of snow. Go back and look at the warning products issued ahead of time for Helene. People severely affected by the storm were warned days in advance. Stop paying so much attention to the cone and the prediction for the center of circulation. Hell, NHC even tells you on the product pages how to use each of the products.
Yeah man. Putting Alabama in the forecast cone 24 hours out was a great forecast.

Yeah man. Putting Alabama in the forecast cone 24 hours out was a great forecast.
No one is saying that, at least not that I'm aware of, and certainly not me. But I'd argue that the NHC and the NWS did their job of warning people appropriately in the locations affected and not a single person i've seen calling them out has yet to provide evidence to the contrary. Pointing out where a city (fortunately) didn't experience predicted full hurricane strength and instead lesser storm affects is not the the dis that people is.

Back