• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Sizzling Shenanigans: warm season whamby

Some folks need to go back and do some reading before they pop off and claim "MAJOR FAIL" by the NHC and NWS offices. Probably the same people claiming FAIL when they only get 2" instead of 4" of snow. Go back and look at the warning products issued ahead of time for Helene. People severely affected by the storm were warned days in advance. Stop paying so much attention to the cone and the prediction for the center of circulation. Hell, NHC even tells you on the product pages how to use each of the products.

Some folks need to go back and do some reading before they pop off and claim "MAJOR FAIL" by the NHC and NWS offices. Probably the same people claiming FAIL when they only get 2" instead of 4" of snow. Go back and look at the warning products issued ahead of time for Helene. People severely affected by the storm were warned days in advance. Stop paying so much attention to the cone and the prediction for the center of circulation. Hell, NHC even tells you on the product pages how to use each of the products.
Nerman, I'm speaking to you apparently.

Glen Burns is on WSB live for those in the ATL viewing area. Finally someone talking about analytics and not asking us what county we live in or standing in front of a green screen telling us what the temperature is outside.

Nerman, I'm speaking to you apparently.
1000002419.png
You're right, we're all wrong, they nailed this one.
1000002420.png
I'll be sure to tell my cousin in Augusta with a tree on his house that crecre9 said the NHC did a fine job even though they ignored models for 48 hours leading up to devastation in his area as the center passed over.
1000002424.jpg

They failed. Many people led astray.

Did you know that 1/3 of the time the CoC tracks outside the cone of uncertainty? https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutcone.shtml

And significant impacts occur outside of the cone!

Straight from the 5pm advisory from the NHC on Wed:
Damaging and life-threatening
hurricane-force winds, especially in gusts, will penetrate well
inland over portions of northern Florida and southern Georgia late
Thursday and Thursday night where Hurricane Warnings are in effect.
Strong wind gusts are also likely farther north across portions of
northern Georgia and the Carolinas, particularly over the higher
terrain of the southern Appalachians.

Did you know that 1/3 of the time the CoC tracks outside the cone of uncertainty? https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutcone.shtml

And significant impacts occur outside of the cone!

Straight from the 5pm advisory from the NHC on Wed:
It’s the fact some were mentioning this Easterly complement to certain models and some folks got snarky about it.

View attachment 152179
You're right, we're all wrong, they nailed this one.
View attachment 152180
I'll be sure to tell my cousin in Augusta with a tree on his house that crecre9 said the NHC did a fine job even though they ignored models for 48 hours leading up to devastation in his area as the center passed over.
View attachment 152182
I'm sorry about what happened to your cousin, but you are still missing the point entirely. Augusta was under a Tropical Storm Warning.

Last edited:
It’s the fact some were mentioning this Easterly complement to certain models and some folks got snarky about it.
I must have missed the snark. I would like to know why the NHC wasn't discussing it in the products I read, but that doesn't change that the drum was beaten for days before hand about where the effects would be, what they would be like, etc. This wasn't a surprise but people are losing their minds over the track of the center of circulation and that the forecasting wasn't perfect.

I must have missed the snark. I would like to know why the NHC wasn't discussing it in the products I read, but that doesn't change that the drum was beaten for days before hand about where the effects would be, what they would be like, etc. This wasn't a surprise but people are losing their minds over the track of the center of circulation and that the forecasting wasn't perfect.
The snark happened in the whamby thread yesterday but was deleted.

Glen Burns is on WSB live for those in the ATL viewing area. Finally someone talking about analytics and not asking us what county we live in or standing in front of a green screen telling us what the temperature is outside.
Didn’t he retire?

I guess at the end of the day I get the NHC messed up by not reacting better to the obvious yesterday but at the end of the day their own graphics say that effects can extend way beyond the cone... The Carolinas would not be ok if the storm went to Atlanta

They still havent got over 28-3
pedro-pascal.gif

As far as the snarky comments yesterday that's a totally different issue but yes at the end of the day I think there was way too much focus on Atlanta and not as much on how large the east side of this thing was... I mean there was surge on the Atlantic side of Florida from a storm in the Gulf. That is beyond crazy

Back