• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe Severe Weather Potential February 23rd

Clearing already occurring in areas of the risk! Any thought of morning convection hampering the threat, looks to be a no go. View attachment 16314

Yeah spotty clearing on visible this morning. As always that will be a key point for severe storms today. Looks like there will be enough instability to atleast support the storms being modeled.

I think the semi-discreet characteristics of storms today may help to dampen the tornado activity but there will very likely be some tornadoes this afternoon. We will have to see how many discreet cells form today.

It's amazing how much I perk up in a SVR situation when the SPC places that pink "MDT" area on the map. Obviously, tornadoes can happen under lesser classifications, but MDT puts me on a whole other level of alert.

I can’t tell you how many times the slight risked or enhanced risk zones for me have busted hard. But when you see moderate it’s legit.

That’s what they “fixed” when they added enhanced a few years ago. But severe has been all but nonexistent here in NC since then.

To me there is still a big gap between enhacned and moderate. Enhanced is like 50/50 it may thunder. But moderate you better pay attention.

Have to agree that when the moderate risk gets thrown around its time to pay attention. Not that I haven't seen it bust a fair amount of times either, but moderate risk usually entails for a pretty big day.

Have to agree that when the moderate risk gets thrown around its time to pay attention. Not that I haven't seen it bust a fair amount of times either, but moderate risk usually entails for a pretty big day.
Are you driving to Tupelo like you said you might?

Chasing in northern MS today has an unusual element of risk involved... there are numerous county roads under water in a large area that can easily cut off someone's route unknowingly. For those of yall out there today, be careful!

Chasing in northern MS today has an unusual element of risk involved... there are numerous county roads under water in a large area that can easily cut off someone's route unknowingly. For those of yall out there today, be careful!
Numerous county roads under water here in corinth

When is the warm front suppose to come through it's been rainy and cold all morning in north Alabama now still raining too

That’s what I was going to say, I live in Tupelo and there are many roads under water even just in the city, I have had to turn around a couple of times cause of the roads being blocked. Can’t imagine in the county. That adds to the not known the area and getting yourself in a bad situation trying to get away from a possible tornado. Especially if it’s a little dark and you can’t see and run into some water then you have multiple problems.

When is the warm front suppose to come through it's been rainy and cold all morning in north Alabama now still raining too
Higher temps and dew points have been pushing north all morning. 70 in Hamilton now, fog in Tupelo as the warmer air is pushing north.

Back