• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

September Sizzling Summer Segway

Honestly thats really not that unusual for late September. I think the warm September's the last few years has made people forgot how September's used to be.
Average coldest temparture for high in September is 69 and for low 49 at RDU. So yes this is VERY unusual. For the love of god y’all check the stats before and don’t rely on anecdotes ! I’m sorry it is just a pet peeve of mine. Coldest September low is 35 for reference , upper 30s is right by that.

RAH is starting to bring the low temps down. They even mentioned a stray upper 30 or two:

As has been advertised, temps will start out more resembling late
October or early November, topping out in the mid 60s to around 70
Sat through Mon, with lows generally from the mid 40s to mid 50s,
coolest N and NW. Mon night is shaping up to be the coolest night,
as the surface ridge settles southward toward NC with a slackening
MSLP gradient and clear skies. Expect lows in the 40s to around 50,
but I wouldn`t be surprised to see a stray low in the upper 30s near
the VA border. As the air mass modifies within the new/evolved
surface high, temps should peak in the upper 60s to lower 70s Tue
then in 70s Wed and upper 70s to lower 80s Thu. Lows around 45-50
Tue night should rebound into the 50s by Fri morning. -GIH
Yeah they like to give a disguised shout out to me every once in a while ?

Last edited:
RAH is starting to bring the low temps down. They even mentioned a stray upper 30 or two:

As has been advertised, temps will start out more resembling late
October or early November, topping out in the mid 60s to around 70
Sat through Mon, with lows generally from the mid 40s to mid 50s,
coolest N and NW. Mon night is shaping up to be the coolest night,
as the surface ridge settles southward toward NC with a slackening
MSLP gradient and clear skies. Expect lows in the 40s to around 50,
but I wouldn`t be surprised to see a stray low in the upper 30s near
the VA border. As the air mass modifies within the new/evolved
surface high, temps should peak in the upper 60s to lower 70s Tue
then in 70s Wed and upper 70s to lower 80s Thu. Lows around 45-50
Tue night should rebound into the 50s by Fri morning. -GIH
Just something I’ve noticed , these highs like to park themselves over us . Oftentimes we see nights colder than or the same as New England . Why do these highs park themselves over northern NC ? Only 2 other locations in east coast of the us I can think of that seem to favor massive amounts of radiational cooling . North Florida / South Georgia , northern NC / southern va, and parts of New Hampshire / Maine . It’s Colorado 2.0 here .

I’d have to say if we frost this early our growing season would be the shortest ever . Literally mid may to mid September . That’s the kind of growing season you get in super high latitude subarctic places in eastern Canada .

I have zero complaints about this past spring and summer, zero. I prefer higher humidity because it keeps daytime temperatures moderated and rainfall chances higher. Its led to less than twenty 90F or greater days where I live and almost 70" of rain so far. I'll take that any year.

Yea this summer was pretty weak sauce all things considered. Never really sniffed 100 and it rained a lot more than normal. Maybe last year just scared me for life, I never want a repeat.
This summer was very short and intense humidity wise imo. Honestly felt like an 8-week summer only.

Back