• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

September Sizzling Summer Segway

The Sep "sizzle" will be returning for the very last few days of the month through much of the country, including the SE, per recent model consensus. Don't put the bathing suit up yet..even Mack way up in IA...well @Tarheel1 you might want to wear a different one from your profile pic

It will warm up but I don’t think a record setting degree of warmth like last year. Plus dew points will be better and let’s face it, that’s what really matters. I’m fine with a few more days for pop up swims at the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Cloudy, 82 degrees, a little muggy, but nothing overbearing, dewpoint is around 60. Hoping the rain bands move a bit further north than progged. We really need some rain here, especially with a long dry spell ahead.

Watch the interaction and potential capture of Teddy in a few days and how the jet responds. It may help build a pseudo -nao look. Not sure if we can net any real benefit though as the pattern across the US favors + heights in the NE

I think @metwannabe has a legit shot at the upper 30s Tuesday morning
Yeah not gonna lie been thinking it was possible if winds go calm. I've never had highs in the 60's, when it's clear, low humidity, that didn't drop into upper 30's under perfect radiational conditions (I'll not say never but it's rare)

Yeah not gonna lie been thinking it was possible if winds go calm. I've never had highs in the 60's, when it's clear, low humidity, that didn't drop into upper 30's under perfect radiational conditions (I'll not say never but it's rare)
Yeah I'm not 1000% sure we can go totally calm but Tuesday morning would be the day to do it.

What a run coming up though I could see most of the non urban locations going on a run of 40s from Sunday through Wednesday mornings, maybe even Thursday.

Yeah I'm not 1000% sure we can go totally calm but Tuesday morning would be the day to do it.

What a run coming up though I could see most of the non urban locations going on a run of 40s from Sunday through Wednesday mornings, maybe even Thursday.
Honestly thats really not that unusual for late September. I think the warm September's the last few years has made people forgot how September's used to be.

Honestly thats really not that unusual for late September. I think the warm September's the last few years has made people forgot how September's used to be.

Averages are more so in the upper 70s/low 80s around much of NC out the mountains with avg lows in the low 60s/upper 50s, it’s sorta unusual

NWS grid forecast shows a lot of lower 50s for lows (~central NC). But I agree with you, with clear skies and dew points in the upper 30s to low 40s we should see lower temps that 50s. I suppose overnight wind/mixing is the only factor that would support higher temps.

It's certainly on the cool side of a seasonable cold shot. The record low for 9/22 at RDU is 42, if all goes well we could make a run at that

It's certainly on the cool side of a seasonable cold shot. The record low for 9/22 at RDU is 42, if all goes well we could make a run at that
RAH is starting to bring the low temps down. They even mentioned a stray upper 30 or two:

As has been advertised, temps will start out more resembling late
October or early November, topping out in the mid 60s to around 70
Sat through Mon, with lows generally from the mid 40s to mid 50s,
coolest N and NW. Mon night is shaping up to be the coolest night,
as the surface ridge settles southward toward NC with a slackening
MSLP gradient and clear skies. Expect lows in the 40s to around 50,
but I wouldn`t be surprised to see a stray low in the upper 30s near
the VA border. As the air mass modifies within the new/evolved
surface high, temps should peak in the upper 60s to lower 70s Tue
then in 70s Wed and upper 70s to lower 80s Thu. Lows around 45-50
Tue night should rebound into the 50s by Fri morning. -GIH

Back