• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

SE US freezes/frosts April 2-4 with mega frost possibly down to Hogtown April 3rd!

NWS last time I checked had 29 here tonight, should be interesting, looks like higher chance to do that tonight

CMC was way to cold this morning, that’s for sure, had concord in the upper 20s/30, concord regional airport only got down to 32 View attachment 81132

It was a little too cold there but way too cold seems like an exaggeration. It was pretty close in much of NC and was actually several degrees too warm in much of C and S GA/SC as well as N FL. So, too warm in more spots than too cold.

Why might the CMC’s much colder lows verify more closely than the GFS/Euro?

1. Arctic high pressure centered almost overhead at 12Z tomorrow with close to 1034 mb in much of NC, which is 30.53”! How often has NC had a SLP that high in April? That is pretty rare for sure.

71C47344-B28D-4A95-BAE2-87529AB77BF4.png

2. Ridiculously low dewpoints in the teens along with very light winds and clear skies:
B9F232F7-8C78-492C-AD2E-17E21C28A44F.png
———————————-

The brand new (12Z) CMC maintains its very cold night. The dashed line in the Charlotte to RDU corridor is 26 F:

484C87D1-EB93-4C5F-BB06-8D7D7DD6B56A.png

Last edited:
Grandma said plum trees that were still in bloom have been “KOed” and even the ones that are leafing look bad, and we still have 1, maybe 2 more nights of this ?
Looks like my hydrangea got it, some new growth on crepe myrtles and most of the grass in my front yard. Nice.

Looks like my hydrangea got it, some new growth on crepe myrtles and most of the grass in my front yard. Nice.
My god . I thought it was light last night . Huh. It’s worth it right ? 2-3 cold days that kill everything despite the fact heat is coming no matter what? Imma miss strawberries . Don’t people begin picking those now....

My god . I thought it was light last night . Huh. It’s worth it right ? 2-3 cold days that kill everything despite the fact heat is coming no matter what? Imma miss strawberries . Don’t people begin picking those now....
Interestingly enough everything that is injured is protected from the N wind. Most plants/grass that are in the open yard are fine. I'm going to put my senor tonight at 2 or 3 feet instead of 6 to see how cold it gets

Interestingly enough everything that is injured is protected from the N wind. Most plants/grass that are in the open yard are fine. I'm going to put my senor tonight at 2 or 3 feet instead of 6 to see how cold it gets
I hope your senor is very good ! Don’t you think it will be too cold for him though ? Leaving a senor out overnight ?

I forgot to add I saw an article this morning that strawberries are delayed this year not sure if that's good or bad for them

I’m not sure either , what’s more sensitive their buds and blooms or the berries ?
I've always understood it as the further along plants are in their green up the less cold required to cause damage. That said strawberries aren't typical warm season plants. My assumption would be the step between bud and fruit is the most sensitive period

I've always understood it as the further along plants are in their green up the less cold required to cause damage. That said strawberries aren't typical warm season plants. My assumption would be the step been bud and fruit is the most sensitive period
Perhaps , strawberries are more cool summer plants . That’s what makes them so tough to grow here . We warm up fast but our freezes don’t follow , then they get frozen . Then comes may and the first few 90s and they are toast. Northern places pick strawberries in June and July just fine .

Dang just to think that my grandmas plum trees took that sort of hit, imagine how widespread this is gonna be when tonight does even more damage to many more spots

Very disappointing 32 IMBY this morning. Pickens county airport, less than 10 miles away made it down to 26. Even GSP got to 28. Breeze just never quit. Tonight could actually be colder for me than last night.

The cold tonight is supported by unseasonably high SLPs.

This map below has the record high SLP's for April. Note the 1037.3 mb (30.63") for Asheville, which was set 4/7/1945. Their low that day was 28, well above the daily record of 20. Records there go back to 1939. The CMC has them getting to as high as 1035 mb or 30.56" (at 12Z tomorrow).

Note also the 1037.3 mb (30.63") for Charlotte, which was set 4/21/1897. Their low that day was 35, but keep in mind that that was in late April thogh ti was well above the daily record of 30. Records there go back to 1893. The CMC has them getting to as high as 1034 mb or 30.53" (at 12Z tomorrow).

AprilRecordHighSLPs.gif

Last edited:
Perhaps , strawberries are more cool summer plants . That’s what makes them so tough to grow here . We warm up fast but our freezes don’t follow , then they get frozen . Then comes may and the first few 90s and they are toast. Northern places pick strawberries in June and July just fine .
You are correct. For the most part at this point the strawberries should be ok as long as the basic stuff is done to protect them... it would have hurt them more if there had been an early bloom and then the hard freeze. What really might take a hit though tonight is peaches. The really bad thing about tonight and why I think some of these lower numbers on the guidance has a chance to verify is simply how low the highs are going to be today. I’m at 46 right with full sunshine and calm wind. With dewpoints already around 10... things may drop fast tonight and add more time below freezing

Just in from CHS NWS:

UPDATE: THE NEW MODELS ARE IN AND SUPPORT FREEZING TEMPERATURES
ACROSS MOST OF OUR AREA, SO WE UPGRADED THE REMAINING FREEZE
WATCHES TO WARNINGS.

Back