• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

SE US freezes/frosts April 2-4 with mega frost possibly down to Hogtown April 3rd!

I'm going to guess 25 for my yard if the winds die down enough. My apples and blueberries are in full bloom so this will be the 3rd time in 4 years where a freeze takes most of them. I just hope we don't get a 2007 repeat with all the newly sprouted tree leaves getting killed.

RDU NWS is forecasting mid 20s for the low tomorrow night at Raleigh. The coldest in March was 26. So, they have the chance to have their coldest since the 22 of 2/21! Also, their coldest all winter was 20. So, they are expected to be only about 5 warmer than the coldest of the winter!
If only we could’ve gotten this setup in January, maybe we could’ve dropped below 20 for the first time in a few years (!!!). It’s been far too long since we saw teens.

I'm going to guess 25 for my yard if the winds die down enough. My apples and blueberries are in full bloom so this will be the 3rd time in 4 years where a freeze takes most of them. I just hope we don't get a 2007 repeat with all the newly sprouted tree leaves getting killed.
2007 repeat for sure I’m afraid . Don’t remember the weather or how the trees looked that year but the freeze in April and the hot dry august , October , and September ? Yeah it probably look horrible all year !

> buys sticky performance summer tires that don't like being in under 32 degree temps ready for good driving weather
> forecast for atlanta tomorrow morning: 31

?

As of 11 AM, the 6Z GFS is almost spot on with temps at ATL and SAV with it having 44 at ATL vs actual of 45 and 56 at SAV vs actual of 55.

Dewpoints: 6Z GFS has 17 at ATL, which is exactly where it actually is. But for SAV, it has dewpoint of 33 vs actual of 40. So, actual speed of dew-point drop is lagging the GFS so far. We’ll see whether or not that is just a temporary lag at SAV. The GFS has it dropping to 27 as of 5PM. Let’s see what happens over the next 6 hours.

The SAV dewpoint dropped a lot and actually went lower than the GFS as of 5 PM with it at 23 vs the 12z GFS' 26:

SAVANNAH ARPT SUNNY 63 23 21 NW16G25 30.07S

Down to 37 here and clear skies overhead. The breeze has really died off as well. 27-28 seems like a good bet

28.8 currently. Dew is at 25 so the little bit of wind last night might have saved us. Still will probably be 5-6 hours below freezing.

29.7 looks like 3-4 hours below freezing with a stiff wind all night. That wind stings this morning

Windchill as low as 22 at one point this morning.... brrrrrrr

I believe low was 29, which means outlying areas probably hit middle 20s. Either Redbud or Dogwood winter, not sure which

RDU very briefly hit 32. So window below freezing was likely under an hour and very light . That means we didn’t get as cold as NWS had for us , they had 29. If only last night was the end we would have no issues ! Tonight however ? Yikes . No where does radiational cooling better than lowland sandy areas of the southern us. Columbia , Augusta , hog town, Fayetteville , Sanford , and even Raleigh.

Back