• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

SE US freezes/frosts April 2-4 with mega frost possibly down to Hogtown April 3rd!

Doesn’t look like RDU dipped below 30 last night. What a fail!!! Well tonight the forecast low is 24 here, so we’ll see what happens....

We can’t even cold right anymore.

RDU very briefly hit 32. So window below freezing was likely under an hour and very light . That means we didn’t get as cold as NWS had for us , they had 29. If only last night was the end we would have no issues ! Tonight however ? Yikes . No where does radiational cooling better than lowland sandy areas of the southern us. Columbia , Augusta , hog town, Fayetteville , Sanford , and even Raleigh.
And Buzzard Town ?

RDU very briefly hit 32. So window below freezing was likely under an hour and very light . That means we didn’t get as cold as NWS had for us , they had 29. If only last night was the end we would have no issues ! Tonight however ? Yikes . No where does radiational cooling better than lowland sandy areas of the southern us. Columbia , Augusta , hog town, Fayetteville , Sanford , and even Raleigh.
I think the light breeze helped a lot last night. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like we’ll have that tonight so a lot of areas might see at least 3-4 hours below freezing

Looked at the forecast dews for today and we are already supposed to have dews in the single digits per the nws hourly forecast tool. Actual dew is 16. There’s hope ! NWS is very aggressive forecasting 25 tonight ! Jesus .
I don't blame them if we go truly calm there's nothing stopping us from 20-25. Thing is most models keep a light breeze along and east of US1 and the 6z 3k didn't even get us below freezing. The real mega frost potential may be Sunday morning at this rate.

I don't blame them if we go truly calm there's nothing stopping us from 20-25. Thing is most models keep a light breeze along and east of US1. The real mega frost potential may be Sunday morning at this rate.
Yeah Sunday is what I’ve been watching as well! Screams mega frost potential and chance to bust colder than forecast . 20-25 = we are threatening a 130 + year old all time record. Dang!

Yeah Sunday is what I’ve been watching as well! Screams mega frost potential and chance to bust colder than forecast . 20-25 = we are threatening a 130 + year old all time record. Dang!
We are really experiencing probably a once per decade-25 yr type cold shot, maybe even less frequent than that. Full sun mid 40s on 4/2 at RDU is impressive

A very impressive 35 low at KSAV this morning, colder than recent gfs runs having 38 and 3 or so colder than the coldest midwinter normals and the coldest since 3/9! Tonight’s low is forecasted to be close to the record of 33 under near ideal radiation resulting in some frost. But the 6Z GFS is only down to 37. So, we’ll see. If it gets to 33, it would tie the coldest of March of 2021! The walk last night was fabulous.

Today’s high is expected in the upper 50s, which is near the coldest midwinter normal high! This would be the coldest high back at least to 3/21. That would result in a mean no higher than 47, which would mean the coldest mean back at least to the 47 of 2/21!!

There will be a third cold night on Sat night though not as cold as the prior two. Projected lows at KSAV low 40s, but further inland are forecasted to see frosty upper 30s. A decent portion of NC may see low to mid 30s, which likely will end up the most frosty night, despite being much less cold than tonight, due to higher dewpoints.

Last edited:
NAM3k (mid 30s) and globals low 30s aren't buying the Freeze. I was surprised to see the 10a AFD from RAH double down with a hard freeze warning.

Yeah they even have 25 forecast! Very aggressive !

Indeed, much colder than the GFS/Euro. They’re going for the much colder CMC, which has been consistently very cold with well down into the 20s for tonight in much of NC for runs going back to 3/24! KCHS region is also going with the CMC with low to mid 30s most areas. If all of this happens, the Crazy Uncle will get major kudos:

736DDDBB-1E4D-4D5A-BCC0-3204EDEF7ADE.png

Here was the CMC run from way back at 12Z on 3/24, which is amazingly very similar to the current run:

Back