• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Saturday 12/17 light ice threat

Status
Not open for further replies.
metwannabe link said:
[quote author=NCSNOW link=topic=46.msg2340#msg2340 date=1481914092]
Freezing Rain Advisories are out per Rah/NWS. up to a balmy 27/-3 at 1:46 pm. That will end up a 8-9 degree bust on the high temp today.

And boy is Monday/Tuesday looking Winter Storm Warningish on the Euro

I know I should know this but what county are you in again?
[/quote]

Northern Randolph County. I'd put the location but can't figure out how to edit profile.

NCSNOW link said:
[quote author=metwannabe link=topic=46.msg2341#msg2341 date=1481914573]
[quote author=NCSNOW link=topic=46.msg2340#msg2340 date=1481914092]
Freezing Rain Advisories are out per Rah/NWS. up to a balmy 27/-3 at 1:46 pm. That will end up a 8-9 degree bust on the high temp today.

And boy is Monday/Tuesday looking Winter Storm Warningish on the Euro

I know I should know this but what county are you in again?
[/quote]

Northern Randolph County. I'd put the location but can't figure out how to edit profile.
[/quote]

Thought it was Randolph, yeah you're in a good spot or bad spot depending on your viewpoint lol.

Mouse over "profile" then click on "forum profile" then scroll down to location and type it in

gsp.png

Of course stupid NAM is showing almost .2 qpf all zr up this way now..... hmmm

4k NAM has a nice swath of .1 - .15 through central NC, Shane's right he's a magnet for zr!

I know you can't be this precise but the 4k has a pocket of almost .25 ice just to my NW, makes one wonder if there might be a couple of pockets of "heavier" precip....interesting but I've seen the NAM do this before over and over and over

metwannabe link said:

4k NAM has a nice swath of .1 - .15 through central NC, Shane's right he's a magnet for zr!

I know you can't be this precise but the 4k has a pocket of almost .25 ice just to my NW, makes one wonder if there might be a couple of pockets of "heavier" precip....interesting but I've seen the NAM do this before over and over and over

Yeah that 4km NAM run gets your attention a little but the HRRR isn't impressed nor is the 12km NAM. Lets see what the GFS has

SD link said:
[quote author=metwannabe link=topic=46.msg2358#msg2358 date=1481920670]

Yeah that 4km NAM run gets your attention a little but the HRRR isn't impressed nor is the 12km NAM. Lets see what the GFS has
[/quote]

GFS has a whopping trace to almost .1 which is fairly consistent but one might could argue it is a tick higher with the qpf or at least a touch more widespread.....  feels like I'm squinting for flurries at 2 am

SWS issued for parts of North Georgia
Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Peachtree City GA
218 PM EST Fri Dec 16 2016

GAZ006>009-013>016-023-024-170900-
Fannin-Gilmer-Union-Towns-Pickens-Dawson-Lumpkin-White-Hall-Banks-
218 PM EST Fri Dec 16 2016

...Light freezing rain and drizzle expected across Northeast
Georgia tonight...

* Location...Northeast Georgia, particularly in the lower
  elevations.

* Hazard and Timing...Light freezing rain and drizzle will spread
  across NE Georgia after midnight and continue through 5 AM
  Saturday. The freezing rain and drizzle will change over to rain before
  sunrise.

* Accumulations...Ice accumulations will be 0.02 inches or less
  and mainly on elevated surfaces.

* Impacts...Icing may create slippery road conditions especially
  on bridges, overpasses and sidewalks.

* Temperatures...Will dip to 32 degrees just before midnight then
  warm to 34 to 35 degrees by 5 AM Saturday.

Precautionary/Preparedness Actions...

Freezing rain or Freezing Drizzle will result in hazardous travel
conditions. Drivers are urged to slow down, leave plenty of
following distance, and exercise extreme caution at intersections
and on highway on and off ramps

Temps were supposed to reach the upper 30s in the Triangle today, the climate report shows only 32F. Yea, that's a bust. The wet bulb is 23F right now, probably going to see temps crash into the mid 20s before WAA takes over... If we bust even half as much as today did temp wise, we're in trouble on Monday

Forecast high today was 45, made it to 40.8.  Currently back down to 36.7 with a DP of 12. East wind at 11 G 15.  Forecast low tonight is 33.  Sure going to be close... if the temp continues falling we'll be below the forecast low quick.  Interested to see how this plays out tonight for those of us in the CAD areas of North GA.  Not expecting much.  Maybe some drizzle if were lucky lol.  Holly Springs/Towne Lake area.

Well here near Monroe, GA it's 31.. and GFS had progged at 36 so thinking CAD is a bit stronger at surface. The determining factor will be strength of CADD keeping precip away longer. As of now..closest radar returns are North MS and extreme NW AL

28/-2. Radar echoes started blossoming out over SC the past hour. Sure it's virga but waa is underway. See if I can get an hour or 2 of frzng drizzle.

.5 degrees away from our forecast low tonight of 36. we will see way down here in the Columbia, SC region.  We never left the 30's today.  Cloud cover should limit cooling, but our dew is 8F with precipitation evaporating currently.

Although, winds from the SSW + WNW might just keep us right here.

metwannabe link said:
[quote author=SD link=topic=46.msg2405#msg2405 date=1481938118]
Sitting at 31/6 I see the 0z hrrr doesn't do much

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Neither does the 0z NAM
[/quote]
Flipped radarscope into expert mode and there are a lot of light returns around but probably way too light to get through the dry air

SD link said:
[quote author=metwannabe link=topic=46.msg2410#msg2410 date=1481939677]

Neither does the 0z NAM
[/quote]
Flipped radarscope into expert mode and there are a lot of light returns around but probably way too light to get through the dry air

[/quote]
I just did that too had never looked at expert mode till you said that... 32/10 here I'm not holding my breath

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

metwannabe link said:
[quote author=SD link=topic=46.msg2414#msg2414 date=1481941342]
[quote author=metwannabe link=topic=46.msg2410#msg2410 date=1481939677]

Neither does the 0z NAM
[/quote]

[/quote]
I just did that too had never looked at expert mode till you said that... 32/10 here I'm not holding my breath

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
[/quote]
I see flurries reported near Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back