• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Saturday 12/17 light ice threat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah the mid-level is an absolute torch...a few flakes at the onset would be a win with this "system"

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

0Z NAM trying to raise an eyebrow in N AL
cadb3c076273c2596f68fd221c7988be.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder how much other NWS's are laughing at how rediicously long the short term AFD from RAL is. We are talking well under 0.05 freezing drizzle. Worst comes to worse issue a special weather statement now and mention possible upgrade if more than expected precip manages to reach the surface. Geeze lol do really need so much analysis? Instead I bet they won't even issue a statement which is what most of the public reads on weather.com or Facebook Road alert pages. I'm not a fan of their reasoning and communication skills at all.

drfranklin link said:
[quote author=SD link=topic=46.msg2279#msg2279 date=1481896145]
RAH really isn't impressed with ice tonight

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I suspect a non-event for most (if not all) of Upstate SC - I have to get my daughter to Westside Aquatic Complex for swimming practice at 7am Sat morning and don't anticipate any driving problems.
[/quote]

The 12z NAM continues to looking like a pretty meh event. I would guess by 7am some of us have already started to warm back above freezing assuming we go below

SD link said:
[quote author=drfranklin link=topic=46.msg2284#msg2284 date=1481896913]

I suspect a non-event for most (if not all) of Upstate SC - I have to get my daughter to Westside Aquatic Complex for swimming practice at 7am Sat morning and don't anticipate any driving problems.
[/quote]

The 12z NAM continues to looking like a pretty meh event. I would guess by 7am some of us have already started to warm back above freezing assuming we go below
[/quote]

I agree probably a non-event but what's funny to me is in the NWS discussion they aren't enthused at all about any type of advisory then 2 hours later post a graphic on their FB page showing an area "most likely area for an advisory" (usual suspects, N Cen/NW Pied)....  which technically I don't have a problem with giving the public some heads up but I've already heard people talking about the "ice storm" now b/c of it.  Dealing with the public is a fickle thing

metwannabe link said:
[quote author=SD link=topic=46.msg2288#msg2288 date=1481897815]
[quote author=drfranklin link=topic=46.msg2284#msg2284 date=1481896913]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree probably a non-event but what's funny to me is in the NWS discussion they aren't enthused at all about any type of advisory then 2 hours later post a graphic on their FB page showing an area "most likely area for an advisory" (usual suspects, N Cen/NW Pied)....  which technically I don't have a problem with giving the public some heads up but I've already heard people talking about the "ice storm" now b/c of it.  Dealing with the public is a fickle thing
[/quote]

I saw that graphic too and had a little WTF moment since it was after I read the AFD. Agreed about the public, if 1 bridge gets icy tonight and someone crashes then they had no warning, conversely issue a WWA and it stays 33 and they are "always wrong". It's a lose lose for the NWS

Yea I wouldn't be surprised to see NWS RAH issue freezing rain advisories around the Triad & Roxboro, but they definitely need to cooperate & compromise a bit more with NWS Greenville-Spartanburg & Wakefield, VA...

ndfd_ice_raleigh_10-1024x768.png

^^  Oh no that's absolute accurate, see that's the infamous SD sn/ip/zr shield in full effect in fact it has expanded some but I expect this system to fully play out just like that  ;D

metwannabe link said:
^^  Oh no that's absolute accurate, see that's the infamous SD sn/ip/zr shield in full effect in fact it has expanded some but I expect this system to fully play out just like that  ;D

Lol it's taking over all of central NC now not just eastern wake county. Btw I thinkk its more of a SN/IP/RN shield, I do well with ZR

SD link said:
[quote author=metwannabe link=topic=46.msg2311#msg2311 date=1481904950]

Lol it's taking over all of central NC now not just eastern wake county. Btw I thinkk its more of a SN/IP/RN shield, I do well with ZR
[/quote]

Lol in that case then we're screwed.....fire up the generators!

WilkesboroDude link said:
I wonder how much other NWS's are laughing at how rediicously long the short term AFD from RAL is. We are talking well under 0.05 freezing drizzle. Worst comes to worse issue a special weather statement now and mention possible upgrade if more than expected precip manages to reach the surface. Geeze lol do really need so much analysis? Instead I bet they won't even issue a statement which is what most of the public reads on weather.com or Facebook Road alert pages. I'm not a fan of their reasoning and communication skills at all.

I'm new here and DEFINITELY no disrespect to you at all, but I actually like the fact that they went out of their way to diagnose the situation for those of us who actually look at their text products. The general public doesn't care about what they write and would never take the time to look. On the opposite, those of us on the boards are always glued to these AFD's and what their thinking is, so for them to go out of their way to write stuff about what their thinking is/what they're expecting, I say kudos to them. As much of a non-event as this may be, at least they're not being lazy and just writing one-liners. Just think, most of the time they don't have anything to write about, especially in the south in the winter; so they're probably taking this time (also first real threat of the winter) to share their thoughts with us.

CummingWx link said:
[quote author=WilkesboroDude link=topic=46.msg2280#msg2280 date=1481896311]

I'm new here and DEFINITELY no disrespect to you at all, but I actually like the fact that they went out of their way to diagnose the situation for those of us who actually look at their text products. The general public doesn't care about what they write and would never take the time to look. On the opposite, those of us on the boards are always glued to these AFD's and what their thinking is, so for them to go out of their way to write stuff about what their thinking is/what they're expecting, I say kudos to them. As much of a non-event as this may be, at least they're not being lazy and just writing one-liners. Just think, most of the time they don't have anything to write about, especially in the south in the winter; so they're probably taking this time (also first real threat of the winter) to share their thoughts with us.
[/quote]
I agree with you 100% here. The NWS' job is to inform the public. Thank you for that.

Freezing Rain Advisories are out per Rah/NWS. up to a balmy 27/-3 at 1:46 pm. That will end up a 8-9 degree bust on the high temp today.

And boy is Monday/Tuesday looking Winter Storm Warningish on the Euro

NCSNOW link said:
Freezing Rain Advisories are out per Rah/NWS. up to a balmy 27/-3 at 1:46 pm. That will end up a 8-9 degree bust on the high temp today.

And boy is Monday/Tuesday looking Winter Storm Warningish on the Euro

I know I should know this but what county are you in again?

30 here. Doubt we'll get above freezing today. Not sure there will be enough precip to cause problems with this one, though.

So NWS goes from a non-event with the thinking that no advisories will be needed to issuing an advisory for all of Central NC...... kiss of death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back