• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Potential Dec 13-14 Ice Threat

don't really know why the models are trending to a high further south ? GFS does show a stronger trough in NE Canada, which would help, but the euro shows the trough more north, altho it was stronger, maybe @Webberweather53 can chime in ? View attachment 27595

The stronger trough over eastern/Atlantic Canada certainly doesn't hurt. I think some of the models are probably beginning to pick up on the meso high that develops in VA nearly superimposed onto fresh snow cover that'll be deposited earlier in the week from the anafrontal event to our north & west.

Our setup at day 3-4 is pretty much what you'd expect to see for a cold air damming/Miller B winter storm in NC with a minor, but very important caveats. This second s/w timing-wise is pretty close to ideal however the trough near Atlantic Canada is displaced further north & coupled to a +NAO. This suggests a more progressive pattern overall and favors "in-situ damming" & a transient surface high, which is basically what we're seeing in guidance lately.

If we had a deeper trough that dug equatorward more off Atlantic Canada, we'd be looking at a much bigger event.

North America NCEPR1 z500a NC Miller B Winter Storms (1948-2019).png
gfs_z500a_namer_15.png

Has the EPS ran yet? I wonder how many more members show an ice event now compared to the last run.

Just finished reading RAH’s afternoon disco. They sound pretty low key about the whole thing. They did note the faster arrival of precip depicted by the latest Euro, but still only mentioning “brief” freezing rain possibilities. I will say that they seem to have underestimated the strength of today’s wedge (not that it is directly relevant to Thursday-Friday). I hope the model trends continue in our favor because nothing’s better than watching RAH play catch up in the AFDs.

Just finished reading RAH’s afternoon disco. They sound pretty low key about the whole thing. They did note the faster arrival of precip depicted by the latest Euro, but still only mentioning “brief” freezing rain possibilities. I will say that they seem to have underestimated the strength of today’s wedge (not that it is directly relevant to Thursday-Friday). I hope the model trends continue in our favor because nothing’s better than watching RAH play catch up in the AFDs.
Yeah I'm in Charlotte this week and it was supposed to get up to 58 degrees.. it's only 53 currently.. I think there will be ice as far south as Charlotte as long as it rains hard enough to drop the temperature. CADs are always forecasted too warm 8 outa 10 times.

GSP
As of 130 pm Monday: Thanks to the broadening and increasing upglide
flow atop the SE CONUS to start off the period, the influx of deeper
rh will give rise to developing widespread pcpn Thursday night. With
cold and dry conditions in place before pcpn onset, a period of
light freezing rain is still possible along and north of I-40. While
a light ice accretion is possible by daybreak Friday, and pronounced
in-situ/hybrid cold air damming will likely develop in response to
any falling precip, current guidance indicates that parent surface
high pressure will be in an unfavorable location to lock in sub-
freezing temps for any significant length of time. Thus, a quick
transition to rain is forecast by Fri afternoon.

Last panel of the Nam looks similar to Euro. 6 hours faster on the timing makes a big difference though.
ref1km_ptype.conus.png

I’m a little confused about the QPF on some of the models. Maybe one of y’all can help me understand.... The storm looks to be fairly weak, right? Is it legitimately possible for us to get over 1” QPF with such a weak storm? The precip field on the NAM looks anemic. Do we have any factors that suggest this will be a “wet” storm relative to what would be expected for such a weak system? Thanks!

The ICON has more moisture this run and a better wedge with some places 3-4+ degrees colder than last run. Still needs some work though

Nam obviously has a cold bias. No way it’s that cold with that much ice. That would cause some problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can definitely see that signal on the gfs, obviously some frontogenesis on the mountains with WAA around the western piedmont/foothills with winds coming out of the SE at 850mb, those ingredients should allow spotty precip before the main stuff moves in like you said View attachment 27588

To add to this (as I mentioned on twitter) we also have orographic lift & the isentropic upglide is virtually perpendicular to the orientation of the CAD dome, basically all favoring an earlier onset of at least light precipitation. The lighter precipitation is usually what causes the most problems in these kinds of setups & is the hardest to predict.

Back