• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Possible Severe Weather April 22nd-23rd

mcd0436.gif

Tbh, the saturday setup is starting to look more concerning for northern GA, upstate SC, & NC compared to this one on Thu, near & south of I-20 may not be the case however depending on mesoscale details. I think the warm sector will punch further N than the last event on Thu, but I have my doubts it'll be able to get all the way up here in NC, if it does though, watch out...

The lack of open warm sector convection on Saturday & even stronger synoptic forcing than we'll see here is starting to draw my ire at least in NC

I really think the lack of commercial airplane traffic is making a huge impact on our forecast. I mean less than 2 days ago this system looked like it meant business and a lot of were worried and rightfully so. Tomorrow should be interesting, it's going to be a nowcasting situation to see if that warm sector moves far enough north. Also watching for any added fuel from the Atlantic, at least in this area, as we saw on Easter.

RAP 15z is still showing afternoon tornadic parameters on soundings across north and central Georgia, but not as high as the 9z run. All options are on the table. Tomorrow will be a nowcast event!

I just looked at the NAM again, and while the MCS removes surface based cape, there’s still lots of MUcape advecting in aloft, kinda suprised me how much was advecting in, if these soundings come to fruition some large hail would be possible given the elevated nature of the storms, and the NAM has actually trended back to more convection again, more south you go the more you increase SBcape and a better chance of surface based T-storms 896CCB47-C3C5-46A9-B7B5-1A6D1A585654.gif863A592A-0367-4C1D-A5CA-1768F69F1EFB.gif
Sounding near ATL (good thing this is somewhat elevated because if that hodo coincided with better cape in the lower levels, that’s a big ooff, near perfect critical angles) 4290CBB9-30AD-4601-81DB-0599B9DF3483.pngsounding near CLT 2DA4DF3E-2DE9-4777-8559-8BFAD7163184.png
This is just one possible solution, I’m just breaking it down because the boredom is killing me

Only reason the STP was not showing up near Atlanta on the STP maps was Becuase the piss poor low level lapse rates, better hope it stays that way

Seems like there going with a NAM 3kmish/12kmish option, but instead the warm sector is further north, including more surface based instability, don’t know bout that one tho, but I guess you can’t argue with it, since they have done well

Definitely wasn't expecting that. Especially not the 10% hatched probability being expanded so far north.

Oh wow, I was NOT expecting that. This looks just like the SPC map for the Easter storm. Minus the moderate risk.

SPC discussion is mentioning the potential for discrete supercells capable of tornadoes, possibly strong in eastern Alabama and western Georgia.

Back