• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Possible Severe Weather April 22nd-23rd

Reaction score
Must be April in Dixie Alley. In addition to the threat this weekend. Models are hinting at another possibly more robust system at the middle of next week. While this has not formally been out looked yet by SPC I imagine it will be soon if these trends continue.

Must be April in Dixie Alley. In addition to the threat this weekend. Models are hinting at another possibly more robust system at the middle of next week. While this has not formally been out looked yet by SPC I imagine it will be soon if these trends continue.

This one is one to watch for some. I expect heavy rain at very least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely think it's time to go ahead & pull the trigger on a thread, severe weather in some way, shape, or form is going to occur in the southeastern US in the middle-latter part of next week w/ a pattern like the one that's been consistently forecast on the models the last several days, but now we're getting inside day 6 and the internal consistency & confidence in a threat is growing.
A few things that are basically given at this point is we won't have anywhere near the amount of deep layer shear & forcing as last weekend, because the subtropical jet is waning as the Kelvin Wave that was dumping westerly momentum into it is entering the Indian Ocean & the deep layer flow will be weaker, and thus this wave will be moving considerably slower than the last two which could aid in boundary layer recovery, however there are a few caveats to this...

Some synoptic details, esp how the northward extent *could* be limited by this trough being forecast over New England remain to be resolved. If this trough hangs back a bit longer & digs, the lateral extent of the warm sector & areal extent of any tornado & damaging wind threat would go down and elevated convection will become more prevalent, esp in the upper south.

Here's a compilation of 500mb anomaly patterns from every major NWP model & some of their ensembles. Again, some synoptic-scale details still need to be ironed out but we're almost certainly going to see severe weather east of the Rockies and south of the Ohio River this time next week. I expect the SPC to denote this threat in the next day or two in their convective outlooks.

1587118466680.png

1587118479935.png

1587118493859.png

1587118504031.png

1587118516362.png

1587118526973.png

From BMX

Behind this system, a dry period is expected Monday and Tuesday as
high pressure takes control. On Wednesday and Thursday, another
trough is expected to take a southerly track across the Southern
Plains toward the Deep South as the suppressed weather pattern
continues. Moisture return will begin on Wednesday, and
thunderstorms may enter the picture for Thursday. Severe weather
could become a concern in future forecasts.

Looking at the euro it has a 992 mb low in prime posistion for severe weather.Screenshot_20200418-104812_Samsung Internet.jpg

I’m more concerned about this one then I am about the one on Sunday

If I’m not mistaken it looks scary similar to Easter Sunday event. Am I missing something?

We won't have nearly the amount of large-scale forcing, but the this event will probably last longer because the parent wave will be moving considerably slower. I'm starting to become more concerned about the system behind this at day 9, if anything. The potential for a cut-off upper low over the Ohio & Tennessee Valley in late April spells big trouble for those SE of it.

The one very big caveat here though is there's a lot less separation between our southern stream s/w and the trough over New England, and unlike our Easter outbreak, this trough over New England has been slowing down too, which will limit the strength and lateral extent of the warm sector. This is usually the kind of pattern in January or February that would produce a big winter storm in the Carolinas and much of the southern US in general (an overrunning event). Funny how your entire perspective changes just a few months later.

ecmwf-ens_z500a_us_fh96_trend (2).gifecmwf-ens_z500a_us_fh96_trend (2).gif

This one is gonna be close, kinda think NC will be included in this one, GFS ticked north a bit with the trough in Canada and the SW itself, btw this run was bad for other areas with this systemEF382A48-24EB-4182-86BC-F704541A02FA.pngF64C2D64-F36D-4176-B922-4A0636C80E30.png194357EA-FAE3-44A3-8080-488EB29C6312.png

This pattern is basically lights out for anyone not over the Arklatex or right along the Gulf coast, good luck getting any surface based CAPE whatsoever with a 513dm closed low sitting over Maine. Can't complain though, that means we get an extended stretch of nice(r) weather here and summer is put on hold just a wee bit longer in the SE US.

Seriously, where tf was this pattern in January?

500h_anom.conus (4).png

This pattern is basically lights out for anyone not over the Arklatex or right along the Gulf coast, good luck getting any surface based CAPE whatsoever with a 513dm closed low sitting over Maine. Can't complain though, that means we get an extended stretch of nice(r) weather here and summer is put on hold just a wee bit longer in the SE US.

Seriously, where tf was this pattern in January?

View attachment 39825
I still think in May we switch to summer.

Back