• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have trump supporters really thought about where their "red line" is with his behavior? What will it take for you to say enough is enough. More bragging about sexual assualt? Maybe just outright bribing other countries? Maybe more US policies that get kushner 30 million dollar loans from isreali banks? Where is it because if he gets a 2md term he is gonna test it.

Heres an article on this.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...ahoo&utm_campaign=yahoo-non-hosted&yptr=yahoo

I have a serious question for anyone but especially @Rain Cold @ForsythSnow @GaWx because they mentioned compromise and working together on numerous occasions.

I'm curious, what policies and/or issues do you think there should be compromise and what should each side give up to make a true bipartisan effort?
The first and biggest issue is fiscal discipline. Neither side has it. One side wants to spend on this or that and the other side wants to spend on that or this. Get together and compromise around military strategy and spending, fixing social security, fixing immigration and securing the borders, and then compromise on getting big business out of the government. Do all of that with the eye of fixing our fiscal imbalances. Then you can tackle social security and things like that. Also, taxes. Dems want to tax the rich, which ultimately leads to higher taxes on the middle class. Reps want to let the rich and big business skate around paying taxes. No bueno. But I don't think it matters what the tax policy is, if you don't get spending under control.

The first and biggest issue is fiscal discipline. Neither side has it. One side wants to spend on this or that and the other side wants to spend on that or this. Get together and compromise around military strategy and spending, fixing social security, fixing immigration and securing the borders, and then compromise on getting big business out of the government. Do all of that with the eye of fixing our fiscal imbalances. Then you can tackle social security and things like that. Also, taxes. Dems want to tax the rich, which ultimately leads to higher taxes on the middle class. Reps want to let the rich and big business skate around paying taxes. No bueno. But I don't think it matters what the tax policy is, if you don't get spending under control.
Taxes have to go up and spending has to go down or we are bankrupt. How long can we spend a trillion more than we make each year? I think we are at the point where it will take ten years of no spending and the same revenue just to pay the debt without counting interest.

Taxes have to go up and spending has to go down or we are bankrupt. How long can we spend a trillion more than we make each year? I think we are at the point where it will take ten years of no spending and the same revenue just to pay the debt without counting interest.
Some economists claim MMT will save us -- borrowing to infinity and just ballooning the debt with no consequences.

Before Trumps tax cut income taxes made up 47 percent of revenue and corporate taxes were 11 percent. Now income taxes are at 50 percent and corporate is at 7.

I agree there is no fiscal discipline on either side (I've stated that before) and I don't see it changing anytime soon. I wish we could all agree on that point.

Interesting though that you slid immigration reform and securing the borders in there, I just don't see much compromise on that from either side. I mean what if I'm willing to give up the idea of building the wall IF the left is willing to eliminate sanctuary cities and stop allowing illegals into the country & benefiting from tax payer funded programs? Is someone on the left going to compromise if I say Ok, I'll go along with a taxpayer healthcare for all system, I'll even go along with raising taxes but you have to over turn Roe v Wade, send abortion issues back to the states and promise me no federal dollars of any kind, ever would be used to help fund any abortion?? Is there really going to be compromise there?

The reason I asked specifics is I was curious what individuals were willing to sacrifice, compromise means someone has to sacrifice something, we here all the time about compromise/sacrificing without much context about what one is actually willing to give up.
There are just some issues you can't compromise on.

I don’t have any specifics to suggest but rather I just want to see a general desire for more compromise/working with the other side than what we have now as I think it would be better for our country’s unity. Let them figure it out. Back in the 1990s, Gingrich and Clinton worked together well. Also, as I recall, even the NE liberal Tip O’Neill and Cali conservative Reagan (my favorite Potus of my lifetime) worked together and actually were friends despite their major differences on issues. Why can’t we have more of that now? Nobody can have their own way on everything. A unified country doesn’t work that way. Now about all we have are extremes on both sides and few moderates/compromisers.

I'm no moderate, never have been but also I'm not extreme.... of course there might be those who would label me as such. You can't expect everyone to be a moderate/compromiser. I find it to be a solid quality when one stands firm in what they believe, sure there are civil ways to discuss and debate those issues but some things just aren't compromisable (not a word I know).

We live in a country that is going broke and blaming poor people for it. It's the people who don't work for a living, not the 70 thousand dollar bombs we drop from 28 million dollar drones, that cost 4000 dollars a hour to fly, on people who make a dollar a day. It's the social security program that has been robbed by politicians for years not the 1.5 trillion tax cut. We can't afford to help keep our citizens healthy but we can afford to protect oil. Handouts are only handouts when they are to poor people. We give a blank check to defense contractors but want to require welfare recipients to meet standards our politicians wouldn't tolerate. I would love to see work requirements and drug tests on politicians on all levels.

You are right about the SS program being robbed by politicians over the years, but you can thank Barry O. for DOUBLING the nation's debt in the 8 years he was in office

I'm no moderate, never have been but also I'm not extreme.... of course there might be those who would label me as such. You can't expect everyone to be a moderate/compromiser. I find it to be a solid quality when one stands firm in what they believe, sure there are civil ways to discuss and debate those issues but some things just aren't compromisable (not a word I know).

I do understand that an issue like abortion is very difficult to compromise on. I'm pretty much pro-life like you although I used to be more on the pro-choice side due to ignorance of biology. (I became convinced that even 3 months was too late once I viewed an ultrasound. And then I wondered "where do you/how can you draw the line?") But I assume the exceptions are the area where there could possibly be some compromise.

You are right about the SS program being robbed by politicians over the years, but you can thank Barry O. for DOUBLING the nation's debt in the 8 years he was in office
No argument here about Obama but at least most of it was during a financial crisis. Trump is on pace to do the same with the greatest economy ever. If we can't balance the budget during a bubble, what happens when it pops?

Before Trumps tax cut income taxes made up 47 percent of revenue and corporate taxes were 11 percent. Now income taxes are at 50 percent and corporate is at 7.
Well according to the Tax Policy Center (based off of CBO numbers) it's more like 48% income tax and 9% corporate.... but I wonder if the increase in income tax contribution is directly linked to more individuals working, which means more individuals paying taxes?

I do understand that an issue like abortion is very difficult to compromise on. I'm pretty much pro-life like you although I used to be more on the pro-choice side due to ignorance of biology. (I became convinced that even 3 months was too late once I viewed an ultrasound. And then I wondered "where do you/how can you draw the line?") But I assume the exceptions are the area where there could possibly be some compromise.
I think abortion is too divisive to be included in fiscal compromise. Fix the budget and then focus on social issues that have little impact on spending. Gun control is another that has little place in spending but is very decisive.

No argument here about Obama but at least most of it was during a financial crisis. Trump is on pace to do the same with the greatest economy ever. If we can't balance the budget during a bubble, what happens when it pops?

When the deficit gets to a certain point, your hands are tied...You have to keep going into debt just to TRY to keep paying the bills...We have been at that point for a while, so don't put too much blame on Trump...He's a business man who understands debt...There's nothing more that he would like to do than get the country debt free

I think abortion is too divisive to be included in fiscal compromise. Fix the budget and then focus on social issues that have little impact on spending. Gun control is another that has little place in spending but is very decisive.
So you agree that our tax dollars should not be utilized to fund abortions? Because, as I'm sure you are well aware, that is currently the case and as long as an item is in the budget then it must be included in fiscal compromise.

A tax cut without corresponding equal or greater spending cuts is just a debt increase.

So you agree that our tax dollars should not be utilized to fund abortions? Because, as I'm sure you are well aware, that is currently the case and as long as an item is in the budget then it must be included in fiscal compromise.
I do agree that tax dollars go to abortion but they aren't a significant part of the spending problem.

I do agree that tax dollars go to abortion but they aren't a significant part of the spending problem.
You said it was too divisive to be considered as part of fiscal compromise not an insignificant amount.

So if we want to compromise it can't include items that are considered divisive? That's placing stipulations and isn't truly compromising. Plus as a taxpayer I have a right to voice concern on how my money is being spent and on what, we can't just say well that's too decisive so we toss.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Well according to the Tax Policy Center (based off of CBO numbers) it's more like 48% income tax and 9% corporate.... but I wonder if the increase in income tax contribution is directly linke
You said it was too divisive to be considered as part of fiscal compromise not an insignificant amount.

So if we want to compromise it can't include items that are considered divisive? That's placing stipulations and isn't truly compromising. Plus as a taxpayer I have a right to voice concern on how my money is being spent and on what, we can't just say well that's too decisive so we toss.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
It's not like anti war taxpayers are allowed to withhold their taxes from military spending or environmentalist tax payers can keep big oil from getting theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back