• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, the civil war was originally over states rights. The issue of slavery was thrown in later. The notion to abolish slavery was a bid to get Lincoln elected in 1861. One of those states rights that the south taught for was the right to own slaves, but that was only a part of it. The civil war was not a fight to end slavery

Reading through the succession letters gives you a good idea of why the south became their own attempted nation. SC letter especially spells out that pretty much every reason they left the union was to be able to own slaves. The states rights argument is an attempt of applying lipstick on a pig.

Reading through the succession letters gives you a good idea of why the south became their own attempted nation. SC letter especially spells out that pretty much every reason they left the union was to be able to own slaves. The states rights argument is an attempt of applying lipstick on a pig.
It was moreso the economics of slavery and political control that was central to the conflict. The north was more industrialized whereas the south was much more dependent on the land to keep up. The north basically said “Hey, we don’t really need slavery anymore so you don’t either.” It’s not like people in northern states didn’t own slaves. People from the north saying, “We wanted to free salves because it was the moral thing to do.” just isn’t accurate. Not that you said that, but that is what many people today imply. It was the economics of slavery which the south saw as a necessity in order to thrive.

Well I’m not gonna stop wearing shirts etc that I support. Just because a black person gets there feelings hurt. The rebel flag represents the south

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You shouldnt want to where it because it represent men who tried to overthrow their government and killed their fellow citizens just so they could own a man.

I don’t think any of the national news is all that good/informative anymore. Stick to your local stations if your looking to actually gain insight IMO.
Real clear politics is actually pretty good site.. they have two articles on opposing view and supporting view per article topic.

You shouldnt want to where it because it represent men who tried to overthrow their government and killed their fellow citizens just so they could own a man.

The rebel flag represents the south that is it. I don’t view it as anything more then that

A heritage based on owning slaves. The flag is also the flag of traitors and has no place but a museum.
Do you know who else were traitors? The founding fathers... well in the eyes of the brits and colonial loyalists. Your from up north arent you? Makes a bit more sense you dont understand support for it.

Last edited:
Do you know who else were traitors? The founding fathers... well in the eyes of the brits and colonial loyalists. Your from up north arent you? Makes a bit more sense you dont understand support for it.

Born and raised right here in Greenville,NC.

History is all I needed to know that the flag is tainted.

e636b569bcf88b43788e17371f114f65.jpg

I was born in the south and I think they were racist traitors who got rich exploiting slave labor

I was born in the south and I think they were racist traitors who got rich exploiting slave labor
My grandpa came from a long line of indentured servants. So when people call me “privileged” or imply that my ancestry line was handed things on a silver platter I don’t take too kindly. Thats why I see the race argument as a complete mockery. We put people in these boxes and broad brush everything. Which understandably pisses white people off. I get it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back