• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Political Thread: The Sequel

Some of you guys have a very poor understanding of economics. If a company makes 3% profit and you consider that a problem, then you obviously don't understand anything about business. I guess a business should try to earn a 0% profit. Wonder how much competition there would be if that was the mandate. 🙄
Amen. Im sure everyone most of us work for, long for the day they can roll out of bed, work hard,take risk and just break even, not make 1 penny extra.

LOL im with you. even if business made 0 profit, well guess what folks, we are still gonna be paying astronomical amounts, cause the dollar is becoming worthless each passing day. Term is Called Inflation in economics 101 class. How does inflation happen? Simple,Government spends more than they take in. Their currency loses its worth.
But lets blame business's.

It's an indicator to the claim given we saw so many businesses crash and burn during covid that did not rapidly raise their prices. I'm sure the drastic rise later than the initial lockdown was mostly to avoid legal penalties since we were out of the "emergency" territory then.

Both are necessities, so people need to purchase them. Taking advantage of people with something they need all while food companies shrink the size of their products is a malicious combo. Just because the market is "free" doesn't make it ethical. A free market means I could scalp everything and sell it for a high price, but it's unethical. Oil is the worst offender when gas prices jump 30 cents or so on the drop of a pin. We just live with these because we can't not eat, drive, or live without any of those. You could if you freeloaded a wooden hut you built yourself and used only fire for light maybe and hunted and gathered everything.

On Tues I was driving home from work at 730 am....my gas light came on and I was like ugh I'm tired i will just get it on the way in later that evening when I went back to work. Gas was 2.88 when I passed the gas station on my way home, that evening I pd 3.19....it went up 30 cent in 12 hrs....

It's an indicator to the claim given we saw so many businesses crash and burn during covid that did not rapidly raise their prices. I'm sure the drastic rise later than the initial lockdown was mostly to avoid legal penalties since we were out of the "emergency" territory then.

Both are necessities, so people need to purchase them. Taking advantage of people with something they need all while food companies shrink the size of their products is a malicious combo. Just because the market is "free" doesn't make it ethical. A free market means I could scalp everything and sell it for a high price, but it's unethical. Oil is the worst offender when gas prices jump 30 cents or so on the drop of a pin. We just live with these because we can't not eat, drive, or live without any of those. You could if you freeloaded a wooden hut you built yourself and used only fire for light maybe and hunted and gathered everything.

Is Kroger the only grocery store?

How can you like a stance thats gonna tax us all more than what we currently pay? Help me understand your point of view. And to each his own, not trying to be judgmental, i cant grasp, seriously.
Most of her taxes are on the rich. Trump will want to tax the middle-class while giving huge tax cuts to the wealthiest. Most on this board will pay more under Trump than on Harris.

Trump believes in Trickle Down Economics, the same thing that cost George H. W. Bush a 2nd term. It did not work because the super-rich kept everything for themselves.

Some of you guys have a very poor understanding of economics. If a company makes 3% profit and you consider that a problem, then you obviously don't understand anything about business. I guess a business should try to earn a 0% profit. Wonder how much competition there would be if that was the mandate. 🙄
They do need a profit but right now some of them are making record profits and are still laying people off. They need to put workers and consumers over stockholders for once. It would eventually work out about like it does now, but many more people would be happy.

They do need a profit but right now some of them are making record profits and are still laying people off. They need to put workers and consumers over stockholders for once. It would eventually work out about like it does now, but many more people would be happy.
Corporations are not a non-profit. Anybody that thinks otherwise is misled. If corporations were non-profit we wouldn't have the economy in this country that we have. Yes things are taking advantage of at times and that can be dealt with but overall we would not have the standard of living that we have.

Most of her taxes are on the rich. Trump will want to tax the middle-class while giving huge tax cuts to the wealthiest. Most on this board will pay more under Trump than on Harris.

Trump believes in Trickle Down Economics, the same thing that cost George H. W. Bush a 2nd term. It did not work because the super-rich kept everything for themselves.
So those Trump tax cuts expire December 31st 2024. That big fat standard deduction rolls back to what it was Dec 31 2017. Hope you got plenty lyeing around to itemize, or else you gonna get a black eye. Fyi
Also if you work for a private business, they will pay 20% more in federal taxes next year. Sure they will be more chirpier to hand out raises for their employees and probably cut prices for consumers.

Ignore her cliches and dig for the facts. Your wallett is counting on you.

On Tues I was driving home from work at 730 am....my gas light came on and I was like ugh I'm tired i will just get it on the way in later that evening when I went back to work. Gas was 2.88 when I passed the gas station on my way home, that evening I pd 3.19....it went up 30 cent in 12 hrs....
Thats crazy. It is actually going the other way in parts of SC unless things changed in the last day or 2. It may have though, after what Libya apparently did.

Is it mustard base? Im an eastern nc barbecue conisiar. Despite being born in south GA,lived in NC about my entire life. SC uses mustard base. All about the apple cidar Vinegar and Red pepper for me.

You were born in S GA? Interesting. Their base sauce is slightly sweet, but they also have a mustard base. I always ask for extra mustard base, my favorite, on the side. Their lean brisket is awesome.

Have you ever been to Bessinger’s in Charleston? Their base is an excellent mustard base.
@Bham 99

@Stormsfury

I guess they don't want people to have jobs. I honestly would have thought It would have been more than 3%.
If smaller grocers existed I'm sure there'd be more jobs not less, and better paying ones too likely with better margins as well but there wouldn't be people at the top that take that profit and run with it while keeping worker wages locked, conditions slowly deteriorating, and employees treated like cattle. My own experience tells me smaller treats workers better and pays relatively better than massive chains that tend to corrupt more.
Is Kroger the only grocery store?
Albertsons had a large jump in profits after covid by numbers but their margins were all over the place, so hard to say they had much of a change pre to post covid. https://www.statista.com/statistics/1167540/albertsons-ebitda-us/

1724897840248.png

Seeing Albertson's size, there's a chance they did not take the same move as Kroger. I don't have eyewitness accounts to know because we don't have one anywhere near here.

If smaller grocers existed I'm sure there'd be more jobs not less, and better paying ones too likely with better margins as well but there wouldn't be people at the top that take that profit and run with it while keeping worker wages locked, conditions slowly deteriorating, and employees treated like cattle. My own experience tells me smaller treats workers better and pays relatively better than massive chains that tend to corrupt more.

Albertsons had a large jump in profits after covid by numbers but their margins were all over the place, so hard to say they had much of a change pre to post covid. https://www.statista.com/statistics/1167540/albertsons-ebitda-us/

View attachment 150484

Seeing Albertson's size, there's a chance they did not take the same move as Kroger. I don't have eyewitness accounts to know because we don't have one anywhere near here.
Check Publix?

Shettley: We all rise and fall together. Live in a consumer driving economy. When you, me and everyone else is paying 30% more for energy,food,transportation at every household. None of us have the disposable income lyeing around to buy the widgets we all make at our individual work places. Thus our work places have to start laying folks off, cause demand drops.

Both candidates cater to some wealthy elitists so it's inevitable the lower classes get screwed one by someone more under either administration. It's like asking if you want a railroad spike hammered in your hand or your foot, both are going to hurt, but it's up to the individual what's more valuable to them.

Both candidates cater to some wealthy elitists so it's inevitable the lower classes get screwed one by someone more under either administration. It's like asking if you want a railroad spike hammered in your hand or your foot, both are going to hurt, but it's up to the individual what's more valuable to them.
What matters is who's going to make the environment conducive to more jobs for the lower class. Everybody wants to talk about taxes blah blah blah when really jobs is the only thing that matters at this point. I've never heard of a poor person giving someone a job though.

View attachment 150484

This is my point about the free market though right? One raised prices one seemimgly didn't or did to a lesser degree. I know there are places that only have 1 grocery store but my point here is your have multiple places in general to shop for food. If someone is too high on x you can go somewhere else to save money, you hold the business accountable by spending elsewhere. You cant do that for electricity

What matters is who's going to make the environment conducive to more jobs for the lower class. Everybody wants to talk about taxes blah blah blah when really jobs is the only thing that matters at this point. I've never heard of a poor person giving someone a job though.
Incentivizing smaller businesses to thrive instead of empowering monopolistic giant businesses is by far the best way to maintain a free market but control prices through competition, create jobs, and grow communities.

That's true enough and one of the reasons I do not think Harris will be as bad as people on here think. She is just like any other politician who will say what they think they need to say to get elected. I do think Bernie Sanders wanted real change, but they made sure he never got to the White House.

Back