• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

October Odyssey

Expect dry to be theme verse wet this winter east of the apps . A lot of NW flow on the way.

Correct me if I am wrong (and I am certain someone will), but isn't October typically the driest month of the year for at least most, if not all, of the southeast?

Yes and no. On average, it is the driest, but typically it is not the driest.
CHA for example, averages 3.14" of precip in October (next driest month on average is September with 3.60"). But year to year, October has been the driest month in only 23% of years since records were kept. In 77% of years, a month other than October turned out to be the driest. So, yes and no. Depends on how you look at it. :)

1601472638224.png

Correct me if I am wrong (and I am certain someone will), but isn't October typically the driest month of the year for at least most, if not all, of the southeast?
October is usually an extremely dry month. It isn't unheard of to go the entire month without a drop of rain.

Interestingly enough Oct 15-19 have all been above normal precip at RDU with the Matthew year obviously being ++++++

Interestingly enough Oct 15-19 have all been above normal precip at RDU with the Matthew year obviously being ++++++
I think ‘17 and ‘19 were the only yearS that didn’t have a tropical connection to the above average rainfall. 2015 had the effects of an upper level pulling moisture in from Joaquin, ‘16 was Matthew, and ‘18 had Michael.

I think ‘17 and ‘19 were the only yearS that didn’t have a tropical connection to the above average rainfall. 2015 had the effects of an upper level pulling moisture in from Joaquin, ‘16 was Matthew, and ‘18 had Michael.
Yep. This goes back to what I said the other day I think 1/3rd of our avg precip during hurricane season is tied to tropical systems remove those and we are having a dry year

Can’t remember the rain total but 2017 Nate knocked the power out for week here from the Wilkes tornado.

Yes and no. On average, it is the driest, but typically it is not the driest.
CHA for example, averages 3.14" of precip in October (next driest month on average is September with 3.60"). But year to year, October has been the driest month in only 23% of years since records were kept. In 77% of years, a month other than October turned out to be the driest. So, yes and no. Depends on how you look at it. :)

View attachment 49562

“On average, it is the driest, but typically it is not the driest.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like Nate ‘17 did about 5-10” back this way. Prob why the tornado uprooted so many trees.

Yep. This goes back to what I said the other day I think 1/3rd of our avg precip during hurricane season is tied to tropical systems remove those and we are having a dry year
Horse Latitudes for the win

I think a lot of that heat is from the hurricane blowing in air from the Caribbean...should the track change..I bet cooler air could win over. I don’t believe the gfs bringing it that far inland

Back