• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

October Odyssey

Cold front coming through right now. Snapped a quick picture of the strip of clouds associated with it. I’m in bed currently and saw it out the window so sorry the picture looks a little ugly. Now that it has passed it is crazy hearing the winds absolutely roaring out there. Lol5D4A8B2E-003F-4182-ACDE-AA8C293D2766.jpegDB7045B5-45A0-48E2-938E-F080108E7187.png

Cold front coming through right now. Snapped a quick picture of the strip of clouds associated with it. I’m in bed currently and saw it out the window so sorry the picture looks a little ugly. Now that it has passed it is crazy hearing the winds absolutely roaring out there. LolView attachment 50267View attachment 50266
Blue norther?

RAH mentioned a chance of frost again in their overnight discussion. The Canadian seems to be the colder model in terms of dewpoints (upper 20s and lower 30s board-wide). The GFS is next with a lot of lower to mid 30s. And the European continues to be the warmest (again with dewpoints). RAH weather graph is showing a dewpoint to low temperature difference of 4-5 degrees. Meaning a dewpoint of 37 is giving a low of ~ 41. They look to be following the European right now (at least for the RDU area). Lets hope the European is a little too warm.

RAH mentioned a chance of frost again in their overnight discussion. The Canadian seems to be the colder model in terms of dewpoints (upper 20s and lower 30s board-wide). The GFS is next with a lot of lower to mid 30s. And the European continues to be the warmest (again with dewpoints). RAH weather graph is showing a dewpoint to low temperature difference of 4-5 degrees. Meaning a dewpoint of 37 is giving a low of ~ 41. They look to be following the European right now (at least for the RDU area). Lets hope the European is a little too warm.
The Euro is usually a little too warm with overnight lows in good radiational cooling conditions.

Really looking like RDU doesn't make it out of the 50s on Saturday.

Last edited:
The Euro is usually a little too warm with overnight lows in good radiational cooling conditions.

That in itself will be amazing. I'm loving the cooler temps this year compared to the last couple.

Here's a great summary of the US pattern/forecast and other areas from a pro met, Eric Snodgrass. No hype. or BS..just the facts with lots of good and interesting info with an agricultural emphasis. If you have time, it is well worth a listen:

Always, actually most models miss it some but the Euro does seem to be the worst offender here, in my experience anyway

Blue norther?
Yep, temperature today is about 25 degrees lower then yesterday. The winds were tremendous when it came through. I also saw a few reports of “blowing dust” in the area and I think I saw some too because the visibility took a noticeable hit after the front passed by. Makes sense given the dry conditions to the west. I’m outside right now and it is windy as heck still. Loving it!

Let's track the cmc vs gfs vs icon vs Euro for this weekend at RDU
One of these looks nothing like the others.... somehow I dont think its going to be 46 and falling at peak heating on October 17. The 12z run of my gut model says 57/35 at RDU this Saturday.

1602515742641.png

1602515757151.png

Screenshot_2020-10-12 Models ECMWF Hi-Res — Pivotal Weather(2).png

Well it is kind of raining on the cmc
Yeah but none of the other models show that rain, they show nice sunny dry conditions. Plus if we back out the view to the entire CONUS, Canadian has some crazy pinks all across the central part of the nation, -30 anomalies whereas the GFS and Euro show nothing that close. I dont know what it is about the Canadian and its tendency to go overboard on cold every cold front. Canadians I guess, they know nothing but the cold.

Back