• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern October '22

It’s weird hearing rain again. I kept looking for the source of the sound around the house and took me a minute to realize it’s pouring.

Whatever database the Tempest updates its rainfall estimate from has been awful tonight. Its backtracked .1" twice. My old school rain gauge has .6" and the Tempest says exactly half that amount, and it is still raining.

Whatever database the Tempest updates its rainfall estimate from has been awful tonight. Its backtracked .1" twice. My old school rain gauge has .6" and the Tempest says exactly half that amount, and it is still raining.
I turned off that and haven’t looked back after it took away a verified deluge that happened to be very local. I got .59” tonight so looks like we matched up pretty close.

Latest 12z GFS continues to show a dryer solution for Halloween. The below is for ~6pm on Halloween. Does show some rain in central SC, but the local NWS for Columbia only has a 30% chance of showers.
1666887025517.png

Well it has been announced during the 4 pm newscast thet after almost 41 years, Glenn Burns is retiring from WSB TV effective end of the month. No surprise that Brad Nitz will be the new Chief Met there.
Actually his last day is November 22. He says that he has been asked to come back and join Brad Nitz for major storm coverages so this may not be the last we see him.

Last edited:
Actually his last day is November 22. He says that he has been asked to come back and join Brad Nitz for major storm coverages so this may not be the last we see him.
I based the "end of the month" off the Facebook post of his comments initially on the air. The "official" posts are for November 22nd.

Euro (12z) continues to show a wet forecast for ~6pm on Halloween.
1666986945433.png

The GFS is trending that way as well.
1666987036550.png
And RAH thinks there'll now be rain:
"Precipitation chances increase Monday into Monday night as
subtropical ridging builds into the Southeast ahead of the
amplifying trough to the west, strengthening a 70-100kt jet from
southern TX into the southern Mid-Atlantic by 18z Monday/00z
Tuesday. The enhancement in upper forcing will work in tandem with a
trailing cool/occluded front and increased moisture transport in the
925-850mb layer Monday night into Tuesday. Mostly light to moderate
stratiform is expected, but latest runs of the GFS depict 50-150
MUCAPE overspreads central NC Monday night which may slightly
enhance precipitation rates during this time."

I remember when he took over for Russ Minshew.
I do as well ... I always thought Russ was a good Met back in the day. But he got himself into a mess ... I wonder where he is today?

(Update: Just saw that Minshew passed away from a brain tumor back in 1993.) Also read that he was acquitted of accusations.) Sorry for the banter!! Glenn Burns has had a good run on WSB-TV

Last edited:
Back