• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Novemburrr

This is a very very legit signal for very cold weather, already getting this on a hour 340+ mean with a -EPO/+PNA, but the H5 pattern is the first legit one the could support cross polar flow with high pressure around/north of Alaska which would funnel the Arctic towards us, note the TPV around the North Pole, that ridging north of AK would take some cold air from it towards us, this is quite far out tho but I just noticed how Impressive it is View attachment 94270View attachment 94271View attachment 94272
Maybe a thanksgiving snow chance … this looks finger licking good!

I wonder if this big storm late next week into the weekend could end up being a major pattern changer like the mid November storm of 1989. That caused major severe in parts of the southeast, followed by very cold weather. The rest of November and all of December were very cold east of the rocky mountains. Then the big Christmas storm that nailed the lower southeast and especially eastern NC changed things again. The resat of winter was mostly warm and wet in the southeast.

I wonder if this big storm late next week into the weekend could end up being a major pattern changer like the mid November storm of 1989. That caused major severe in parts of the southeast, followed by very cold weather. The rest of November and all of December were very cold east of the rocky mountains. Then the big Christmas storm that nailed the lower southeast and especially eastern NC changed things again. The resat of winter was mostly warm and wet in the southeast.
That mid November ‘89 storm was followed a few days later by a major winter storm at Thanksgiving for the mid- Atlantic and New England… there was snow during the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in NY. That started a pretty wild 6 weeks. Then as you said right about New Years things got mild and we really didn’t see another cold snap east of the mountains until late in February and early March

Not sure if the 1989 system was an upper low like this is showing but it was very intense. Maybe the only thing that kept it from being worse severe wise in the Carolinas was that it come through most of the area after dark. Hunstville AL got hit very hard with it.

That mid November ‘89 storm was followed a few days later by a major winter storm at Thanksgiving for the mid- Atlantic and New England… there was snow during the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in NY. That started a pretty wild 6 weeks. Then as you said right about New Years things got mild and we really didn’t see another cold snap east of the mountains until late in February and early March
We had severe weather and flooding in Feb and March of 1990 and did somehow get that one last shot of cold in late Feb. Only the high clouds kept us above zero the Sunday night near Christmas 1989 during that big cold snap. I remember seeing those clouds on the horizon and hoping they would stay away but they did not. If I remember right that was the night Wilmington NC got down to zero, no doubt aided by snowcover and a clear sky, which we did not have up here.

We had severe weather and flooding in Feb and March of 1990 and did somehow get that one last shot of cold in late Feb. Only the high clouds kept us above zero the Sunday night near Christmas 1989 during that big cold snap. I remember seeing those clouds on the horizon and hoping they would stay away but they did not. If I remember right that was the night Wilmington NC got down to zero, no doubt aided by snowcover and a clear sky, which we did not have up here.
Yep. Lowest ever out that way . Nuts . Terrible terrible low . Mass death and destruction of plants !

My father was in construction and working at Myrtle Beach after Hugo so we ended up spending Christmas with him. The condominium his company was working on put up all the construction workers and their families for free that week in the upper floors that had already been repaired and didn’t have surge damage. So I got to experience blizzard conditions much of the 23rd. I never will forget the size of some of the drifts. I don’t remember how low Myrtle Beach got, but I know it was probably very close to zero.

My father was in construction and working at Myrtle Beach after Hugo so we ended up spending Christmas with him. The condominium his company was working on put up all the construction workers and their families for free that week in the upper floors that had already been repaired and didn’t have surge damage. So I got to experience blizzard conditions much of the 23rd. I never will forget the size of some of the drifts. I don’t remember how low Myrtle Beach got, but I know it was probably very close to zero.
That’s a lucky experience right there !

Back