• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern November 2023

I'm fine with not wasting precip now and waiting until December, January and February for the pattern to become wetter.
Not really wasting it. Outside of our local region that benefitted from ophelia and Idalia is been dry across the region since 8/15. For some folks farther SW in the region they are going to need a big DJF to reverse growing negative anomalies and not start the 2024 growing season still behind

Not really wasting it. Outside of our local region that benefitted from ophelia and Idalia is been dry across the region since 8/15. For some folks farther SW in the region they are going to need a big DJF to reverse growing negative anomalies and not start the 2024 growing season still behind
Yeah, I just want snow.

A lot like 2016, although it took until late November to get the wet pattern going. Once it started raining that fall it did get very wet and stayed wet through most of winter.
November 2016 was not during an El Niño though. This was during a neutral ENSO.

NE gonna freak
gfs_asnow_neus_56.png
Very unlikely to happen, but still interesting to look at. Especially interesting because this comes from a west Caribbean hurricane that transitions to a nor’easter.

If we block December we could get in on something think ice or frozen to rain is more likely versus a pure snow event. If we don't block which I'm leaning towards it's not going to be great for snow
As normal, I'm going to start really looking at the models at/after Thanksgiving. Our prime time to be able to get big storms tends to be the first week of December to the first week of March. Of course, the better chances start in early January into late February. But we've had some big winter storms in the first half of December.

If we block December we could get in on something think ice or frozen to rain is more likely versus a pure snow event. If we don't block which I'm leaning towards it's not going to be great for snow
We don’t usually see a strong El Niño develop much blocking in December. The one thing I’m finding interesting is that I came across an article last week that I wish I had saved, but it’s indicating that the El Niño may be moving west and is not entirely east based. I’m honestly sure what effect that could have on December. I’m still think that December is going to be above average, but things could start to turn a little quicker than what we saw in 2015-16.

1698412098342.png
1698412126527.png
This is not that far from a notable mountain event. Trend it far enough SW and I might be in the game in blacksburg

Back