• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Nov 30-Dec 1 Flurries/Snow Showers

I am ok with cold without snow in December. It kind of sets the mood for Christmas. But come January I want it to be snowing if it's cold.
I can relate somewhat. I surely dont want 70s for the holiday's. However lows in the low to mid 20s and no snow to track sucks anytime. Give me 30s at night and mid 50s and it feels like Christmas.

Its a furnace in Canada. Mid 20s at 7am. That massive PNA ridge may look pretty but it ain't gonna get it done. It needs to move west some, get taller and we need EPO help to get snow. Sure we're below average. But maybe I'm the minority but I say screw cold with no shot of snow.

There's a higher correlation of +PNA with snow than -EPO with snow in Atlanta at least (I've thoroughly checked the daily stats via several hours of research) because a lot of times the -EPO block allows for the SER to take over since it can be 1500-2000 miles west (30 degrees longitude) of the +PNA block.

There's never a time I don't want it colder than normal in the SE, especially because now it is rare. I almost never have even a shot at snow. I just like it colder than normal in the SE at all times of year. If I lived up north, I may very feel differently.

It does seem like the further east you go in the south the harder it is to get snow at low latitudes. Seems easier to get snow deep into TX for instance than it is to get snow in South GA.
That is particularly true over the last several years, and imo is EPO-driven. If we ever get blocking again, then winter weather in the SE will be much easier to come by.

There's a higher correlation of +PNA with snow than -EPO with snow in Atlanta at least (I've thoroughly checked the daily stats via several hours of research) because a lot of times the -EPO block allows for the SER to take over since it can be 1500-2000 miles west (30 degrees longitude) of the +PNA block.

There's never a time I don't want it colder than normal in the SE, especially because now it is rare. I almost never have even a shot at snow. I just like it colder than normal in the SE at all times of year. If I lived up north, I may very feel differently.
I certainly believe you with the PNA. This particular time though won't cut it. Could be lack of sea ice and not enough cold has built up. Or its not you traditional +PNA. Not really sure what that is when Canada is just one gigantic block.

I spent 45 years in the Columbia area. And yeah, the Atlantic ocean with the Gulf stream just off the coast and the pretty much permanent ridge around Bermuda plus downsloping winds from the App mountains makes snow in Columbia extremely rare. And it's only around 200 feet above sea level.

I spent 45 years in the Columbia area. And yeah, the Atlantic ocean with the Gulf stream just off the coast and the pretty much permanent ridge around Bermuda plus downsloping winds from the App mountains makes snow in Columbia extremely rare. And it's only around 200 feet above sea level.
Honestly for a snow lover it has to be pure torture living in Columbia. Why would anyone torture themselves like that ? Constantly getting teased. Might as well live in a place like Gainesville, FL where you know for sure it will never snow and you will never get teased. And to make matters worse, Columbia is the most miserable place in the entire south to be in the summer.

Last edited:
I’m confused. I’m seeing posts saying the models look bad and it won’t be cold enough. Wasn’t the forecast supposed to be really cold beginning of December just days ago?
Pretty much look at where people are posting from..for some its not bad. For upstate sc it ain't happening

That 2nd wave is our storm and is very much in play her. We have a wave showing up and CAD showing up. That’s all you can ask.

Well there time for it to come together. The players are there. If this doesn’t work though hopefully the pattern will repeat for Christmas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly for a snow lover it has to be pure torture living in Columbia. Why would anyone torture themselves like that ? Constantly getting teased. Might as well live in a place like Gainesville, FL where you know for sure it will never snow and you will never get teased. And to make matters worse, Columbia is the most miserable place in the entire south to be in the summer.
Nails it, I’ve lived here all my life, and for a person passionate about the weather, especially winter weather, it’s torture. Jan 2018 was a soul crusher watching areas to the SE get it then two weeks later getting warm nosed. Anyways, I’ll get off my soap box. Lol

Nails it, I’ve lived here all my life, and for a person passionate about the weather, especially winter weather, it’s torture. Jan 2018 was a soul crusher watching areas to the SE get it then two weeks later getting warm nosed. Anyways, I’ll get off my soap box. Lol
I honestly hope you get buried with snow this winter. I feel bad for you.

18z gfs isn't even close.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I certainly believe you with the PNA. This particular time though won't cut it. Could be lack of sea ice and not enough cold has built up. Or its not you traditional +PNA. Not really sure what that is when Canada is just one gigantic block.

The sea ice is way behind so yeah that doesn’t help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back