• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Naughty November

Yeah, the EPS was very nice looking in regards to moisture, cold air would be the issue. I'd get excited if we could get that ridge about 500 miles north, then we'd be calling early December 2018 an analog.
View attachment 52716View attachment 52717

Here's what it looks like on the GEFS

Hinting at something big just beyond day 10 in the favorable left exit region of the subtropical jet.

1605910511194.png

1605910541040.png

Is there a reason that you can see that we see such an active STJ in these last few LaNina Decembers. I’ve always understood LaNina to generally have less of influence from the STJ and thus expect dryer conditions across the southeast
You can get active subtropical jets in a multitude of ways without El Nino, a Kelvin or MJO wave, +PMM (as we'll see this coming week), and equatorward breaking rossby wave on the dynamic tropopause in the right place and orientation can deposit a significant amount of westerly momentum onto the subtropical jet.

Yeah it definitely does. Here's a few early December big dogs I was able to dig up on that apparently had similar longwave patterns.

December 2-3 1896
View attachment 52725

View attachment 52726

December 4-5 1907

View attachment 52723
View attachment 52722

December 4 2000

View attachment 52727

View attachment 52728

Composite mean 500mb anomaly from the above 3 storms
View attachment 52729

View attachment 52730

View attachment 52731
I could be wrong but, wouldn't there be a caveat since there's a ridge south of Greenland rather than a trough that would pump cold air?

I could be wrong but, wouldn't there be a caveat since there's a ridge south of Greenland rather than a trough that would pump cold air?
Yeah the trough there is a key distinction and something we may need to see as this moves forward in time. A trough south of Greenland pushes the North Atlantic storm track southward, delivers a cold high to our north over New England and southeastern Canada and helps slow the background flow just enough for the wave in the southern stream to amplify and tilt just in the nick of time to produce here. We can certainly do without the trough there but it would help no doubt imo

I think it was Dec 4-5, 2002. Raleigh had their most freezing rain from a single storm since 1948.
I remember that storm well. I was living in Concord and after about a 1/2 inch of sleet/snow it switched over to 18 hours of freezing rain with the temperature hovering between 27-29. The ice accrued to just under an inch which was the most I’ve personally experienced. Power was out for a longer time after that than with Hugo

Pretty pitiful that Atlanta couldn't manage to get below 37 the last 2 mornings. I guess the heat island only applies to Atlanta and not Nashville, Charlotte, or Raleigh.
Trust me nashville is a huge heat island but it’s much further north then Atlanta. I’m 40 minutes north of Nashville and have seen many times driving from Nashville to White House at night temp drops of 10 degrees. Look at the gfs on weather bell using the 2m temps and you can literally see a bubble of warm air surrounding Nashville, especially at night when cooler temps are ongoing

Just goes to show you the lack of confidence there is in the 10 day period.
CMC and ICON are aligned, and the GFS and Euro are in another alignment camp.
01B48904-AA9B-4435-A159-41B779B292F4.png
05906AAF-C429-4179-92DC-2A45073BBBB9.png
245DB5BF-B6DF-49D2-9579-F875157ADB2B.png
EBF2515C-4D88-4E2D-B0E8-7BA92EA6440D.png

Back