• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Learning Model Discussion 2/9-2/10

Surface maps are kind of useless, you need to be looking at H5 which shows a different solution than 6z. It's quite a bit different
I do look at H5 maps, yes, it was different in the upper air. Looking at surface maps are important too because looking for the fronts is just as important as H5.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

I do look at H5 maps, yes, it was different in the upper air. Looking at surface maps are important too because looking for the fronts is just as important as H5.

what happens at the surface is 100 percebt a product of what happens at H5 . That's why H5 maps are all that really matter

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

d93d3e13cdf7f9896fcef225bf66ea5c.gif

I use a combination of surface maps and H5. I'm not going to sit here and waste time on debating at what to look at. Others have a different way at viewing things. Besides, you can't just look at H5, it's good to have a good practice at looking at surface and upper air to see what's going on below H5. Going back on topic.....

This storm was really never a thing outside TN, NC. Just a couple okay runs with temp issues for those further South or West.

what happens at the surface is 100 percebt a product of what happens at H5 . That's why H5 maps are all that really matter

That's not necessarily true. Actually it's not true at all. Surface features and H5 features affect each other all the time. A low often strengthens a trough. A cold core high can form under both a ridge and trough. It can be blazing hot under a trough or cold under a ridge. They affect each other. H5 is not always an end all solution. Also, H3 has a huge impact on cyclogenesis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not necessarily true. Actually it's not true at all. Surface features and H5 features affect each other all the time. A low often strengthens a trough. A cold core high can form under both a ridge and trough. It can be blazing hot under a trough or cold under a ridge. They affect each other. H5 is not always an end all solution. Also, H3 has a huge impact on cyclogenesis.

Thank you bouncycorn! Looking at H5 is not always important, specially trying to determine winter weather.

12z gefs horribly

e18 ftw. This shows what can happen if that energy holds back a little like the 12z gfs (but not as much, and ejects a bit quicker) and then digs as if should. Would be a suppressed system. 1 out of 20 members isn't bad. Haha kidding.
0e9bd1c190b8ec24019b9b28e0f06d98.jpg

8a6a9919f5c4868f8e12f9a8259400a3.jpg

Hold on...so am I reading that 500mb isn't relevant when it comes to weather and the surface is more important?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
No, your reading that the NAM looks good! And no matter what the 500mb pattern looks like, we gonna torch! :(

Back