• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Miserable March

For my SC peeps, here's one for you:

View attachment 36721

In my neck of the woods, the first day of the storm was more frozen precip (freezing rain and sleet) than actual snow. The second day was all snow!

My mind may be a tad foggy as we're talking about 40 years ago and I had celebrated my 7th birthday a month before this storm. But that is how I recall things happening.

We’re getting absolutely pummeled here with heavy rain from thunderstorms. This is a continuation of on and off heavy rain since yesterday. My yards are a mess and have now turned my property into lakefront.

Already well into moderate Savannah River flooding from plentiful upstream rainfall between this area and Augusta as well as further north the last few weeks is being exasperated. As of this morning, Clyo was at 17.1 feet vs flood stage of only 11 feet. It is forecasted to rise to 18.0 feet Saturday with some further rise possible thereafter. Major flooding, a very rare occurrence, is not far above that at 20 feet.

Recent radar:
9E72491F-8EA8-4C5D-8548-45876C6D7727.png

Accumulated rainfall: this is significantly underdone
5442D4DC-B7CF-4AAB-9B94-5FD9301393E1.png

Last edited:
Geez, first time this year I’ve seen a run with 591dm heights that far north on the GFS, almost like a summertime ridge, whether it changes or not, winter is slowly ending folks, there’s probably gonna be that one random freeze we get at the end of March/early April lol 0D9CA440-D1A2-4351-A52E-11028CE07266.png

Geez, first time this year I’ve seen a run with 591dm heights that far north on the GFS, almost like a summertime ridge, whether it changes or not, winter is slowly ending folks, there’s probably gonna be that one random freeze we get at the end of March/early April lol
I'm fine with it at this point. We had just enough cold to delay the leaf out to a more reasonable time. Bring on fishing, golf, and gardening.

WWA issued for TN/NC border counties above 3500’

Wish I could go for a little late season action but I know for a fact the Mrs. wouldn’t be down with that ?

Been a wet first week of March. Hope we can dry out at some point soon.
1583442752799.png

Probably should've placed this in the February thread, but some of it is relevant here.

9.45" last month.

The Savannah River is apparently pretty close to spilling over. It's covered a lot of the rocks that are usually dry at one place and I believe an island that's in the river.

Some creeks and small streams have long flooded and it's swampy there.

Basically enough is enough. I don't want it bone dry but we're long overdue for a long period of it being weeks, maybe months of the rain being a lot more on the side of occasional.

I know that's probably not going to be the case. At least anytime soon.

Last edited:
Big snow in mtns above 3500 friday into fri night. 5 plus inches and 50 mph gust.
NW NC MTNS you get best of both worlds. Live in the south ,hardly see 80 in dog days of summer and get 40 plus inches if snow a year. Not to mention its breathtaking beauty.

Another dreary day today but looks like the last one until next week.

The temperature today held in the upper 40s all day and only now is starting to go down a little. Rain was prevalent most of the day with waves of moderate/heavy rain all of last night and into the afternoon today.

If I were to guess, I would say that between 4 PM yesterday and 4 PM today it rained for 21 or 22 hours. Since midnight racked up 1.65 inches. This brings my total for the week/month to 3.11.

This also brings my year to date total to 25.45 inches. I believe this is around half of what my area averages in a single year and were not even 2 and a half months into the year yet.

looking forward to the drier weather tomorrow and for the weekend. FFC did issue a wind advisory from tomorrow morning to tomorrow night for North Georgia for 10-20 mph winds and gusts to 35 mph. With the saturated soil that might cause some isolated issues but at least it will be dry again!

Back