• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Mega March 2023

I’m paying attention more to trends with the temps. They’ve trended warmer. The 18z GFS was a bit of a warning shot regarding sustained cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1678022380532.png You’ve got to stop using the GFS as a basis for your points. It is a bad model with even more violent swings than any other. Especially the off hour GFS. If The GFS and GEFS were even remotely useful, then I’d have 2 major snows already this season. I’ve had a 4+ inch mean on the GEFS under a 100 hours twice this winter with zero to show for it. The cold isn’t moderating. A 7 day ensemble mean from probably the most reliable long range model we can use is averaging 10-14 degree departs from average on a smooth spread. That is ridiculously cold for this time of year.

I’m paying attention more to trends with the temps. They’ve trended warmer. The 18z GFS was a bit of a warning shot regarding sustained cold.

No it wasn’t because the GFS is a useless model that the WPC doesn’t use when putting together their outlooks. As I stated above ensembles are showing 500mb heights and 850mb temps that would be conducive for multiple nights of overnight lows well down into the 20s, but if we want to look at surface temperature trends then we can see that the overnight Euro ensemble is showing a widespread 10-14 degrees below average over a 7 day period from 3-12 to 3/19.

View attachment 133986 You’ve got to stop using the GFS as a basis for your points. It is a bad model with even more violent swings than any other. Especially the off hour GFS. If The GFS and GEFS were even remotely useful, then I’d have 2 major snows already this season. I’ve had a 4+ inch mean on the GEFS under a 100 hours twice this winter with zero to show for it. The cold isn’t moderating. A 7 day ensemble mean from probably the most reliable long range model we can use is averaging 10-14 degree departs from average on a smooth spread. That is ridiculously cold for this time of year.
In the same breath I would say you have to stop using maps 8-15 days out.

View attachment 133986 You’ve got to stop using the GFS as a basis for your points. It is a bad model with even more violent swings than any other. Especially the off hour GFS. If The GFS and GEFS were even remotely useful, then I’d have 2 major snows already this season. I’ve had a 4+ inch mean on the GEFS under a 100 hours twice this winter with zero to show for it. The cold isn’t moderating. A 7 day ensemble mean from probably the most reliable long range model we can use is averaging 10-14 degree departs from average on a smooth spread. That is ridiculously cold for this time of year.
I want it to be bitterly cold as much as the next guy, but by the same token, we've seen D7+ cold snaps on the GFS, CMC, and, Euro greatly moderate over and over and over as well. You can't honestly criticize anything while basing the critique on a Day 8-13 model prog.

I agree that it looks like a cool-down is coming, but I'd be hesitant to embrace bitterly cold, well below freezing temps for a widespread region until we get it to show up within 4 or 5 days.

Canadian swings back to a pretty darn cold look for early next week.

If anyone is still looking for snow the cmc was how you would want to get there. There is still a decent amount of noise in that 3/15-18 period but these trends aren't that greatgfs_z500trend_us_24.png
eps-fast_z500a_namer_fh192_trend.gifgfs-ens_z500trend_us_23 (2).png

Attachments

• eps-fast_z500a_namer_fh192_trend.gif
    eps-fast_z500a_namer_fh192_trend.gif
    541.3 KB · Views: 22
Night overextend to much +AAM going poleward that’s a lot of momentum
I’m noticing in the last couple days of teleconnection updates that the PNA is now look to go positive in the 13-15 timeframe. If that happens, I worry that we may say a set up like around Christmas with such a strong NW flow that any potential energy to produce a storm gets suppressed way too far south.

I’m noticing in the last couple days of teleconnection updates that the PNA is now look to go positive in the 13-15 timeframe. If that happens, I worry that we may say a set up like around Christmas with such a strong NW flow that any potential energy to produce a storm gets suppressed way too far south.
Hard get that setup in March. Like December ….

Back