• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern May: gateway to everyone's favorite season

I only received 22 drops last night ! Pathetic

Well shut my mouth.... I'll keep you posted on the exact number of raindrops that fall
67f95796d37b3e8401bc3200861eba5b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Well shut my mouth.... I'll keep you posted on the exact number of raindrops that fall
67f95796d37b3e8401bc3200861eba5b.jpg

Quick update, rain shield deployed and zero drops made to the surface.... false alarm. Carry on

I just wonder if at some point, we flip to a rainy , wet pattern , for end of June/ Early July time frame? We just need the hated SE Ridge, to become a Bermuda high! Y’all remember those?

I just wonder if at some point, we flip to a rainy , wet pattern , for end of June/ Early July time frame? We just need the hated SE Ridge, to become a Bermuda high! Y’all remember those?
It's possible. I have saw a hot and dry late May turn cooler and wetter for June through August twice, in 1989 and 1994. The turn in 1994 was spectacular here in Jonesville, with 7 inches of rain in a 5 hour period from training storms.

hot.png

first time this year I've seen that icon on the NWS forecast. "sunny and hot, with a high near 97"

Some expansion of D0, I think if this ridge is as beastly as advertised next weeks map could really show the effects....

View attachment 19803
The drought monitor is so interesting to me. I wish there was more information too bad 1300 doesn't post anymore and could shed some light on it since it says to contact state climate offices for more info

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The drought monitor is so interesting to me. I wish there was more information too bad 1300 doesn't post anymore and could shed some light on it since it says to contact state climate offices for more info

I completely agree and I'm pretty ignorant about it but I'm assuming it's based off of water table, lakes and reservoirs and river levels. Or based solely on the amount of precipitation in an area over a certain Amana time compared to average. I'm curious too because my dying grass and the fact that local farmers here already are irrigating crops would tell you we're already beyond abnormally dry.

I completely agree and I'm pretty ignorant about it but I'm assuming it's based off of water table, lakes and reservoirs and river levels. Or based solely on the amount of precipitation in an area over a certain Amana time compared to average. I'm curious too because my dying grass and the fact that local farmers here already are irrigating crops would tell you we're already beyond abnormally dry.

Yeah i feel like the wet late summer into early spring may be what's keeping us from showing up on the monitor. Im with you though, most lawns here are dormant and the crops in most fields simply germinated and have been stuck atva couple inches tall for the last month. Saturday will be D14 with 0.00 and only roughly .5 over the last 30 thats dry to me and approaching the territory of it becoming an issue. Today is the first run of the EPS that gives me a little bit of enthusiasm going forward.

As of yesterday, ATL still had a surplus of 1.40" (talk about a precipitation gradient!).

So technically, a ways to go before any drought concerns.

I did find this. It seems to shed some light on how they calculate severity. Somewhat a blend of various "Ranges" and calculate as a percentile. You can click each of the 5 "Ranges" and use the percentage on how they weigh and blend. IDK.... Is this helpful?
https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/AboutUSDM/AbouttheData/DroughtClassification.aspx
You know I'm gonna pull a brick here and say, just like with severe weather, there are too many levels. If you look at D1 that's problematic and yet is only the 2nd out of 5

Yeah i feel like the wet late summer into early spring may be what's keeping us from showing up on the monitor. Im with you though, most lawns here are dormant and the crops in most fields simply germinated and have been stuck atva couple inches tall for the last month. Saturday will be D14 with 0.00 and only roughly .5 over the last 30 thats dry to me and approaching the territory of it becoming an issue. Today is the first run of the EPS that gives me a little bit of enthusiasm going forward.

See wamby thread

At least you won’t have to wash you vehicles for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really starting to look like we may get into a pattern that will allow some fronts to attempt to move into the region late next week but get stuck in a west to east orientation.

Really starting to look like we may get into a pattern that will allow some fronts to attempt to move into the region late next week but get stuck in a west to east orientation.

In other words, Summer has arrived, lol.

Back