• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern May: gateway to everyone's favorite season

All of the midlands of SC under a red flag warning. The rest of SC and GA have special weather statement for fire danger

That outflow boundary that move through last night packed a pretty good punch. I've seen several big limbs snapped, as big as my leg, and even one tree down. Sucks all that and not a drop of rain to go with it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That outflow boundary that move through last night packed a pretty good punch. I've seen several big limbs snapped, as big as my leg, and even one tree down. Sucks all that and not a drop of rain to go with it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Inverted Vs do that ☹️

At this point we need a MCS
Yeah and read this summary, if something don't pop soon SE on the verge of serious issues.

Southeast Drought Summary
The subtropical ridge left most of the Southeast with no rainfall this week and several record maximum temperatures. The hot weather increased evaporation and dried soils. Only isolated areas, mostly in the Carolinas and Florida, had any rain at all and amounts were mostly less than half an inch. D0-D1 expanded from northern Florida to southern Virginia. Dry and hot conditions prevailed for the last 2 to 4 weeks, with below-normal precipitation noted in many areas for the last 3 months. Some of the drought indicators, especially the Standardized Precipitation Index (SPI), Evaporative Drought Demand Index (EDDI), and soil moisture indices, indicated D2 was imminent, but D2 was not added this week. May 26 U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) reports indicated that 77% of the topsoil moisture in Georgia was short or very short (dry or very dry), up from 41% last week. Other states had similar increases: Alabama increased from 12% to 47%, Florida increased from 42% to 64%, North Carolina increased from 29% to 60%, South Carolina increased from 48% to 86%, and Virginia increased from 3% to 26%. Subsoil moisture conditions were just as bad, with short to very short subsoil up to 33% of Alabama, 52% of Florida, 55% of Georgia, 14% of Mississippi, 50% of North Carolina, and 76% of South Carolina. According to media reports, Brunswick County in southeastern North Carolina issued a notice to "use water wisely" due to developing drought conditions and increased demand, and was considering instituting water conservation measures. Nearby Pender County restricted water use due to an ongoing water shortage emergency in southeastern parts of the county caused by high demand, hot weather, and limits in their distribution system. In Georgia, reports from Coffee County included hay reserves disappearing, soils drying, and heat stress to crops; planting stopped on non-irrigated acres and irrigation was turned on for irrigated acres.

Yeah and read this summary, if something don't pop soon SE on the verge of serious issues.

Southeast Drought Summary
The subtropical ridge left most of the Southeast with no rainfall this week and several record maximum temperatures. The hot weather increased evaporation and dried soils. Only isolated areas, mostly in the Carolinas and Florida, had any rain at all and amounts were mostly less than half an inch. D0-D1 expanded from northern Florida to southern Virginia. Dry and hot conditions prevailed for the last 2 to 4 weeks, with below-normal precipitation noted in many areas for the last 3 months. Some of the drought indicators, especially the Standardized Precipitation Index (SPI), Evaporative Drought Demand Index (EDDI), and soil moisture indices, indicated D2 was imminent, but D2 was not added this week. May 26 U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) reports indicated that 77% of the topsoil moisture in Georgia was short or very short (dry or very dry), up from 41% last week. Other states had similar increases: Alabama increased from 12% to 47%, Florida increased from 42% to 64%, North Carolina increased from 29% to 60%, South Carolina increased from 48% to 86%, and Virginia increased from 3% to 26%. Subsoil moisture conditions were just as bad, with short to very short subsoil up to 33% of Alabama, 52% of Florida, 55% of Georgia, 14% of Mississippi, 50% of North Carolina, and 76% of South Carolina. According to media reports, Brunswick County in southeastern North Carolina issued a notice to "use water wisely" due to developing drought conditions and increased demand, and was considering instituting water conservation measures. Nearby Pender County restricted water use due to an ongoing water shortage emergency in southeastern parts of the county caused by high demand, hot weather, and limits in their distribution system. In Georgia, reports from Coffee County included hay reserves disappearing, soils drying, and heat stress to crops; planting stopped on non-irrigated acres and irrigation was turned on for irrigated acres.

Hate to say it, but we might need a TC

How about just a good old fashioned cold front ? Does the south not get cold fronts in May ?
Sure do, in fact one will blow through here this weekend.... problem with cold fronts, unless they stall, only scattered storms/showers for a brief time as they pass, then they are followed by even lower DP's which means what little rain fell is wiped out fairly quick. No doubt we are going to need a TC or a stalled out front with waves of LP to stop the desert encroachment.

How about just a good old fashioned cold front ? Does the south not get cold fronts in May ?

Only luck with them now Friday/Saturday is widespread multicellular clusters, but the NAM shows weak Capping which would likely isolate storms a bit, but any that do develop could really be nasty with fat CAPE profiles and such large DCAPE + colder air aloft and deep layer shear

Sure do, in fact one will blow through here this weekend.... problem with cold fronts, unless they stall, only scattered storms/showers for a brief time as they pass, then they are followed by even lower DP's which means what little rain fell is wiped out fairly quick. No doubt we are going to need a TC or a stalled out front with waves of LP to stop the desert encroachment.

Yep, summer cold fronts suck in the SE unless they stall out and become a focal point for Convective initiation

Hate to say it, but we might need a TC
Give me a remnant TS and I think we will be good. Maybe have it stall too. Just no Irma-like repeats. That storm was bad on rainfall totals for a TC and ended up being more of a pain than anything. I think we are headed into a new drought period though, so I think we will have widespread D2 by the end of summer unless we get a wetter pattern.

Maybe tomorrow produces after all, we shall see...

View attachment 19934

Not a bad setup, will probably be more messier with lack of Capping, could see some nice structure since low level wind shear will be weak, but deep layer wind shear will be somewhat strong, not saying LP supercells for sure but the environment is ok for them, likely more multicellular clusters with lots of cool pool interaction since there will be such big amounts of downdraft CAPE and high LCLs/inverted Vs, good day for shelfies !!!!! At this point I’d take the severe storms if it means rain

My final rainfall total for the month of May is 1.82”.

Ended the month with 10 straight days of no rain. Would be 18, but I got a surprise shower last Monday that gave me .01”.:D

This month brings me to 23.56” for 2019. Still hovering just above average for the year (23.2”). Here’s to this dry spell hopefully ending soon.

Back