Pattern May Flowers

• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!
Construction on the US White House began in 1792. It has been almost continuously occupied by US presidents since 1800, barring a few years after the British set it on fire in 1814.

But that doesn’t mean that the present-day building is free of hazards—there are mice, cockroaches, and ants. And as of this past weekend, a sinkhole has been growing on the north lawn, Voice of America reporter Steve Herman observed, just near the press briefing room.

Steve Herman

✔@W7VOA

https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/998919472567275520

This week I’ve been observing a sinkhole on the @WhiteHouse North Lawn, just outside the press briefing room, growing larger by the day.

9:32 AM - May 22, 2018 · The West Wing
Twitter Ads info and privacy

“It was noticeably bigger between Sunday and Monday,” Herman said. “It’s more than a foot long right now,” he said. A second sinkhole has opened up right next to it, he said.

Often described as a “swamp” of corruption, the city of Washington, DC, is also literally built on a swamp. The city’s geological issues also include “forebulge collapse,” a post-Ice Age condition that means the city could sink as much as six inches this century.

Sinkholes have opened up across the city in recent years. They forced two residents to abandon their homes in March, and swallowed up a school bus last year. This is the first report of one on the White Houselawn.

Last year, a giant hole opened in the earth in front of Donald Trump’s Florida resort, but that was due to a new water main, not a geological condition.

Reactions: Webberweather53
My house won't be hard to find. It'll be the driest spot in eastern nc

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Just like mine in GA. It's getting hard not to believe my house is cursed. That one light spot in GA is my house.

Attachments

• Emerson Drought.JPG
    Emerson Drought.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 14
Incoming....
82d575750f4bec88ed77f854f5e4d788.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Severe Thunderstorm Warning
Severe Weather Statement
National Weather Service Raleigh NC
352 PM EDT TUE MAY 22 2018

NCC083-185-222030-
/O.CON.KRAH.SV.W.0048.000000T0000Z-180522T2030Z/
Warren NC-Halifax NC-
352 PM EDT TUE MAY 22 2018

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 430 PM EDT
FOR SOUTHEASTERN WARREN AND NORTHWESTERN HALIFAX COUNTIES...

At 350 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm was located 10 miles southeast
of Warrenton, moving east at 30 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts and quarter size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Hail damage to vehicles is expected. Expect wind damage to
roofs, siding, and trees.

Locations impacted include...
Roanoke Rapids, Halifax, Littleton, Weldon, Arcola, Medoc Mountain
State Park, South Weldon, Airlie, Roanoke Rapids Lake and Rosemary.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

For your protection move to an interior room on the lowest floor of a
building.

If on or near Lake Gaston, get away from the water and move indoors
or inside a vehicle. Remember, lightning can strike out to 15 miles
from the parent thunderstorm. If you can hear thunder, you are close
enough to be struck by lightning. Move to safe shelter now! Do not
be caught on the water in a thunderstorm.

Torrential rainfall is occurring with this storm, and may lead to
flash flooding, especially in low lying or urbanized areas. Do not
drive your vehicle through flooded roadways.

Reactions: Webberweather53
Getting huge downpour now. Largest I've seen so far with winds and started with probably some of the largest raindrops I've seen.

Edit: Probably getting 1 to 2 inch an hour rates from this one storm. Some areas in Gwinett appear to have had 1 to 2 inches from their part last hour.

Last edited:
Didn't get any rain today so far with 90% chance per forecast. Don't really care though, as I have had enough as of late and will be getting more this weekend.

I don't think I've ever begged for sunshine. I wish it was cold and cloudy every day...with occasional snow.
I must be getting you confused with another great poster from RAH area!
Had 80% chance of rain and storms, nada here! I don’t want to start joining in yalls hole party!

Reactions: Rain Cold