• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern May Flowers

Interestingly, I don't think I've encountered mosquitos either, but I haven't shifted to full on evening-night walks yet. The bugs are out in full force though and the funny thing with me is until it happens (and knock on wood it never does) I'm NEVER going to be afraid of getting attacked by dangerous animals (and I don't get in water that's not a pool very often anyway) but when it comes to bugs, I'm scared to death.

I've seen very little in the way of mosquito's and other bugs compared to last year... even with yearly pest services/sprays for the backyard I normally still see some while I am out back enjoying the evenings...but so far this year not a hint of anything surprisingly. May also be because I had a landscaper come out and address drainage issues as well earlier this year so now all the water flows into drainage pipes and underground to the street. Still interesting to see others are seeing less though so far this year.

same here... some population issue not related to heat/moisture... maybe the extended cool season in March/April had some lasting effect on overall mosquito population. (to Google...)

Tony,
In a word, we're in for a nice summer for a change. Maybe ... LOL
Best!
Phil
Lol, ever the optimist! If the only thing we get from the mosquito vanishing, is a cool summer, that will be great. My sometime theory is the early end to winter, coupled with the very cool April here, and dry spell thrown it, must have disrupted the life cycle. Maybe Miss Mosquito wasn't in the mood due to the cycle of cads and cold. I'm not complaining so much as just being frightened out of my mind at the anomaly :)

Lol, ever the optimist! If the only thing we get from the mosquito vanishing, is a cool summer, that will be great. My sometime theory is the early end to winter, coupled with the very cool April here, and dry spell thrown it, must have disrupted the life cycle. Maybe Miss Mosquito wasn't in the mood due to the cycle of cads and cold. I'm not complaining so much as just being frightened out of my mind at the anomaly :)
Maybe mosquitoes are on their way to becoming extinct ;)

I have to ask because you are one of the most entertaining posters on these boards. Do you write for a living? BTW, I have seen only a few skeeters here so far but I think up until last week, we had zip water for them to breed in or for dormant eggs or however their sick life cycle works to process in.
Lol, many thanks for the compliment :) I love to write, and have had some success. Published some short stories. I've been working on a book for about 40 years, lol, but I don't have the discipline for it. I spent my life doing art to avoid having to sit and write, and edit, and rewrite, and type some more...but I do love it in short spurts. I mostly just read though.
Yeah, here it was a cold April with a mini drought, after winter ending in Jan that must have confused them to no end. Still I find it perplexing they just vanished after several years of over abundance. I find myself reaching for the Off whenever I head out the door, and have to stop myself, because I don't need it, and I usually go thru 6 or more cans a year since I spend so much time outside. If this keeps up all summer, I'm going to start stock piling supplies and go underground. No good can come of this. Mosquitoes serve an important purpose in Nature's plan, thou I'm at a loss as to what that is, lol.....and it's the finding out that has me terrified :) Tony

Interestingly, I don't think I've encountered mosquitos either, but I haven't shifted to full on evening-night walks yet. The bugs are out in full force though and the funny thing with me is until it happens (and knock on wood it never does) I'm NEVER going to be afraid of getting attacked by dangerous animals (and I don't get in water that's not a pool very often anyway) but when it comes to bugs, I'm scared to death.
So.... it isn't just here beyond the edge of the earth. If they are fleeing the south, shouldn't we follow suit? I can remember when the Tigers first invaded, and it wasn't that awfully long ago. They are the ones that come out in the late afternoon and evenings...the Asian Tigers, and they swarm you....and now I do my walks in the early to late evening, and and nothing. I'm worried that I'll have too much blood in me, and I'll explode from the pressure :)

I've seen very little in the way of mosquito's and other bugs compared to last year... even with yearly pest services/sprays for the backyard I normally still see some while I am out back enjoying the evenings...but so far this year not a hint of anything surprisingly. May also be because I had a landscaper come out and address drainage issues as well earlier this year so now all the water flows into drainage pipes and underground to the street. Still interesting to see others are seeing less though so far this year.
Landscaper.....Well now, I hadn't thought of that...but I did clean a lot of ivy during the winter. I broke the Snapper twice mowing in the woods, I got so much of it.

same here... some population issue not related to heat/moisture... maybe the extended cool season in March/April had some lasting effect on overall mosquito population. (to Google...)
Going down to near 0 several years running just made them flourish. The cool March/April might just be the key. Now I'm getting all this rain, I wonder if they'll suddenly arrive ravenous, ready to make up for lost time. No mosquitoes in the last weeks of May is making me paranoid, lol.

Going down to near 0 several years running just made them flourish. The cool March/April might just be the key. Now I'm getting all this rain, I wonder if they'll suddenly arrive ravenous, ready to make up for lost time. No mosquitoes in the last weeks of May is making me paranoid, lol.
A cool spring after a warm February sounds like its the winning combination.

Sorry Shane and RC, I'd love to share trust me......

The National Weather Service in Raleigh has issued a

* Flood Advisory for Minor Flooding in Poor Drainage Areas for...
Halifax County in central North Carolina...

* Until 615 PM EDT

* At 416 PM EDT, Doppler radar indicated heavy rain due to
thunderstorms. This will cause minor flooding. Overflowing poor
drainage areas will result in minor flooding in the advisory area.
One to two inches of rain has already fallen.

* Some locations that will experience flooding include...
Roanoke Rapids, Halifax, Scotland Neck, Littleton, Weldon, South
Weldon, Rosemary, Tillery, Roanoke Rapids Lake and Lake Gaston.

Additional rainfall of inch is expected over the area. Due to
already saturated soils, this additional rain will cause minor
flooding.

Backdoor cool front getting active about to get another dousing up this way I believe...
That outflow up your way is getting pretty well defined and the heavy rain behind it should give it a decent south west push. Wouldnt be surprised at all to see it kicking off storms here before dark.

I actually like tomorrow and Wednesday more down this way with the Piedmont trough being active tomorrow and the backdoor front really getting going Wednesday. Wednesday may just be a decent severe weather day here with dcapes over 1000 leading to a potential wind threat. May see decent hail too in any sustained updrafts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Snow weenies in the SE US can certainly hope this modoki-ish NINO lasts into the upcoming fall and winter esp w/ the -SPMM persisting into the summer. We already have that modoki look in the subsurface just have to keep it around for several more months, easier said than done.

That outflow up your way is getting pretty well defined and the heavy rain behind it should give it a decent south west push. Wouldnt be surprised at all to see it kicking off storms here before dark.

I actually like tomorrow and Wednesday more down this way with the Piedmont trough being active tomorrow and the backdoor front really getting going Wednesday. Wednesday may just be a decent severe weather day here with dcapes over 1000 leading to a potential wind threat. May see decent hail too in any sustained updrafts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yeah that outflow boundary looks impressive hopefully it can spark something for you today but if not today maybe tomorrow Wednesday. I actually only picked up .4 at my house today but there's some 1 and even 2 in amounts pretty close by I just drove through some minor flooded roads

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back