• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

May 2021 Discussion Thread

Maybe not a drought all summer and maybe it's isolated but umm, the crunchy dead grass and lowering creek levels around here would argue we're already in a drought. I noticed coming back from the OBX this weekend those canals and the Great Dismal Swamp are very low as well, comparatively speaking

One of the saving graces is we had such a wet fall/winter. Imagine if we hadn't. Things would be so much worse.

One of the saving graces is we had such a wet fall/winter. Imagine if we hadn't. Things would be so much worse.
Wet fall/winter doesn't help seed crops that are trying to germinate a few inches below the surface. I get where you and other's are coming from, but droughts aren't always about long term water supplies (reservoirs, lakes, etc), often times the short term effects are far more serious..... I tend to view things from the ag point of view.

Yeah, I was in Halifax County a couple of weeks ago and the grass was crunchy brown and the trees were all dead. It might have been from the non-stop hard freezes from Jan 1- May 15 though, not drought.
Not sure which Halifax Co you visited but trees are alive and well, don't recall any May hard freeze either..... I mean I know you are being "sarcastic" but wanted to clarify in case you were confused.

Not sure which Halifax Co you visited but trees are alive and well, don't recall any May hard freeze either..... I mean I know you are being "sarcastic" but wanted to clarify in case you were confused.
Sometimes facts get jumbled up in his head and he doesn't communicate them in the right sequence.

Wet fall/winter doesn't help seed crops that are trying to germinate a few inches below the surface. I get where you and other's are coming from, but droughts aren't always about long term water supplies (reservoirs, lakes, etc), often times the short term effects are far more serious..... I tend to view things from the ag point of view.
It's probably why we are D0-D1 for much of our region. Water table probably isn't in bad shape but the upper few inches of the soil are powder.

Very true. I feel like you're right in the regards to flash droughts. Flash droughts are probably worse for vegetation as are random late freezes.

I don’t know they looked crispy ! Halifax county Canada ! That’s where I was! County seat is Halifax . Saw some snow piles left on the slopes of medoc.

1986 comes to mind. Still one of the worst droughts in the southeast although 2002 and 2007 are right up there.

Very true. I feel like you're right in the regards to flash droughts. Flash droughts are probably worse for vegetation as are random late freezes.
As a whole weather hasn't been very nice to ag this spring. Late freezes, hail dumps, dry conditions all we need is a hurricane and then ice storm this winter to really complete the set

As a whole weather hasn't been very nice to ag this spring. Late freezes, hail dumps, dry conditions all we need is a hurricane and then ice storm this winter to really complete the set
Let’s do it , we need all the extreme weather ! Don’t forget the record shattering heatwave this summer and record breaking ice storm and cold wave in winter .

I will say the weather has been kind to the walkers , doesn’t matter though their walking has a price and it’s higher costs for things thanks to ag taking blows .

Back