• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

May 2021 Discussion Thread

Yeo looking at ens members and some show days with sea breeze stuff/Piedmont trough stuff and mountains stuff, really looks like summer on the ens
At least 3 or 4 times a summer I get what’s left of a sea breeze front and and outflow boundary from mountain stuff collide right over me in eastern Union County. When it happens it’s definitely a BOOM and usually at least 1.5-2 inches of rain.

At least 3 or 4 times a summer I get what’s left of a sea breeze front and and outflow boundary from mountain stuff collide right over me in eastern Union County. When it happens it’s definitely a BOOM and usually at least 1.5-2 inches of rain.

I love those storms. The Charlotte area sits in a great spot for these type of storms. I remember one a few years ago in East Charlotte- it went severe and we had 65mph wind gusts, constant lightning, hail, torrential rain, basically everything. I think we ended up with over 3 inches in a matter of an hour!

Brad P is really tossing around the d word. I get it, it's going to be hot. But even he said the ridge is eventually going to breakdown by late next week. I think we enter a very typical summer pattern (right on schedule). So, I wish he would stop suggesting we are going to be droughting all summer. There are really no signs of that as La Nina is beginning to wane to neutral. I say let the pools and lakes heat up this week and we're golden for the holiday weekend. And we will get track some boomers. It's a win win overall.

Last edited:
Brad P is really tossing around the d word. I get it, it's going to be hot. But even he said the ridge is eventually going to breakdown by late next week. I think we enter a very typical summer pattern (right on schedule). So, I wish he would stop suggesting we are going to be droughting all summer. There are really no signs of that La Nina is beginning to wane to neutral. I say let the pools and lakes heat up this week and we're golden for the holiday weekend. And we will get track some boomers. It's a win win overall.
I like Brad but boy does he beat the current horses to death. Wasn't it just a couple of months ago he was posting about how much it rained

Brad P is really tossing around the d word. I get it, it's going to be hot. But even he said the ridge is eventually going to breakdown by late next week. I think we enter a very typical summer pattern (right on schedule). So, I wish he would stop suggesting we are going to be droughting all summer. There are really no signs of that as La Nina is beginning to wane to neutral. I say let the pools and lakes heat up this week and we're golden for the holiday weekend. And we will get track some boomers. It's a win win overall.
Yeah, like I said the other day he was really going on about a long term drought during the flash drought of May 2019 and that ended being a memory by the end of June. To me a severe long term drought would be a big concern to me if we were staying in a LaNina and going into it for a second year. Now that we’re getting to a neutral ENSO and according to NOAA look to stay there through next winter, we should start to see that typical summer pattern with humid air and plenty of storm opportunities just about daily. Long term, when we get into the fall, the STJ should really start to become a big player as well.

Last edited:
Maybe not a drought all summer and maybe it's isolated but umm, the crunchy dead grass and lowering creek levels around here would argue we're already in a drought. I noticed coming back from the OBX this weekend those canals and the Great Dismal Swamp are very low as well, comparatively speaking

Maybe not a drought all summer and maybe it's isolated but umm, the crunchy dead grass and lowering creek levels around here would argue we're already in a drought. I noticed coming back from the OBX this weekend those canals and the Great Dismal Swamp are very low as well, comparatively speaking
Yeah, I was in Halifax County a couple of weeks ago and the grass was crunchy brown and the trees were all dead. It might have been from the non-stop hard freezes from Jan 1- May 15 though, not drought.

Back